1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'addario Chromes covered in silver paint?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by justinbass, Mar 4, 2008.

1. I just bought a pack of 5 string .132-.045 D'Addario Chromes, and I had to spend 10 minutes wiping what looked like silver paint off of them before I could string up my bass.

My hands and 6 sheets of paper towel are now covered. Is this normal. Seems like an odd treatment.

2. Update. I just got off of the phone with D'Addario. It sounds like this set is still covered in polish, and I am returning them for a new set.

3. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I've been through a couple sets of Chromes now and neither set were covered in anything.

4. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Plug and Play, baby.

glad D'addario took care of you. :bassist::bassist::bassist:

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

i've used tons of chromes and never had a problem. they do sound like magic though, enjoy the mellow goodness:)

6. rockstar744

rockstar744

Feb 15, 2007
    Portland OR
    I've had this happen too, but never really bad. A quick wipe was all I needed, though I always wondered if it was supposed to be that way. Hasn't discolored my maple fretboard at all, that's all I care about!

7. Thanks for the replies.

I thought it was odd.

the return is in the works.