Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'Addario chromes flats E string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Figjam, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I bought D'Addario Chromes (flatwounds) for my Essex fretless. I put em on and they all sound great, except for some reaosn the open E string kinda sounds like it has phaser on. It isnt a deep booming string, instead kind of a "zoom" idk its weird. When i fret a note it isnt very noticeable. My fretted 1st and 2nd frets almost sound lower than the open E! Wats up? Will this go away as they get less new?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    You might have it a little twisted. If I get that sound, I loosen the string, pull the ball-end out of the bridge and wiggle everything around so that I can see that there's no lateral tension on the string, and bring it back up to pitch. That usually works. If it doesn't work, I get a small allen wrench and turn the ball end (sticking the allen wrench in the hole in the ball) a little one way or the other to see if it gets better or worse. That has worked several times as well.

You could have a bad string, but try these things first.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It isnt bad/annoying enough that i would consider it a bad strnig and buy a new set, i can live with it, but ill try those things.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    How do you like the Chromes, otherwise? I've been wanting to try a new set of flats, and I narrowed it down between TI's and Chromes...musiciansfriend.com has them on sale now and I was seriously thinking about it...

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They are on sale? Doh, shoulda bought from there. They are great. Most mwahh ive ever gotten from this bass (isnt saying THAT Much because these are only the second kind of strings ive tried on it) eheh but they sound very nice.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I took the string off and put it back on and its basically fixed. Simple solutioin, but im stupid :)

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Don't feel stupid. It took me a looooong time to figure this out. Kept wondering why my strings sounded funny, and in such a random pattern :) .

8. Tbass66

Tbass66

Mar 15, 2002
    Thanks for the tip