Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'Addario Chromes Flatwound...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by aquablue, Apr 15, 2005.

1. aquablue

aquablue

Apr 12, 2005
    Miami, Florida
    [​IMG]

Has anyone ever used (or is using) these strings? I would like a review.

2. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I've used them. In fact I've used a lot of flats. They're about my fourth favorite below Fenders, D'Aquistos, and Thomastiks. They're on the mellow side, as stated on the packaging, and in the ballpark of the Thomastiks in my opinion.

All things being equal--which, of course, they're not--on my bass, with my setup, my amp, my hands, etc., etc., etc., I always preferred the brighter sounding Fenders and D'Aquistos. I've read some people here saying they found Thomastiks to be bright sounding, and I just don't hear it. Not on my bass anyway. And in fact Thomastik uses a silk wrap around the core and under the outer flat wrap of the strings, which they state is to give them a slightly muted "upright-like" tone, and I think they're successful there. D'Addario, to my knowledge, does not use silk around the cores of their flats, but once they're played in a bit they've got some nice, mellow thump to them as well.

And, hey, understand that when I call them "my fourth favorite," they still are one of my favorites. My ranking in no way should imply Fenders are the best while D'Addarios stink. I like all the brands mentioned and have used them all in different situations when I've wanted a particular sound. They're all great, but they do sound different, and I simply have my own preferences based on what works for me in most of the situations I play in.

As with all things bass, you'll just have to give them a try yourself and see if you dig 'em. Good luck!

Matt

3. aquablue

aquablue

Apr 12, 2005
    Miami, Florida
    Other strings I will consider:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have the exact set of the Chromes you have pictured except mine are light gage .40-.95

I bought them by mistake as i prefer the ribbon wounds. I will sell them to you for $25usd if you would like. They are brand new. I opened the package and cut opened the plastic envelope. I realized they were the wrong strings and put them back in.

how about it?

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Big boo-boo on your part .... no selling allowed for non-supporting members ..... :scowl: Especially in the threads :rollno: :rollno:

6. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Personally I never cared for the GHS flats. The tone wasn't bad, but they always felt a little weird to me. But maybe you'll like them.

On the black nylon tapewounds--I've used them, and they sound pretty nice. Be sure to take note, however, of the guages. They are thick strings due to their inherently lighter tension, so you may have to widen the slots on your nut to accommodate them.

Matt

7. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I've been a TI flat user for 2 yrs. now (4 string). I recently purchased a passive 5'r, so I decided to try the Chromes. Right out of the box, they sound a bit like a mellow round wounds, with the punch and low end of a flat. They are even sounding across the board, I just don't dig the stiffness this string offers. If I could find a string that's flexable like a TI and sounds like the Chromes....I'd be set! ; like that's going to happen. I also found that the Chromes have a real nice growl when using the rear p-up.

8. I use Fender 9050's on my P-Clone, the Fender Stainless flats pictured above. Somehow they seem to sound best on it. I use D'Addario Chromes on my Hamer 2TEK CruiseBass because they sound better to me on that bass. They are a bit bright when they're new but they get mellower with age. Both of these appeal to me because of the relatively high tension. I can play fast passages much more easily with the high tension. I have switched to GHS Precision Flats on my Reverend and they sound great and feel great. They are not quite as lively as the Chromes and have a softer feel than the Chromes. They sound and feel great on the Rumblefish, on which I use the parallel (i.e. "thump") setting. I use GHS Brite Flats on my MIJ fretless Jazz bass. They sing sweetly and deliver mwah galore. If could choose only one set of strings to use on all my basses, it would be D'Addario Chromes. They could handle all I need very well. Say, that might not be a bad idea!

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You should give the Sadowsky flats a try. I prefer them to both the Chromes (currently on my CS Relic PBass) and TI Flats (had them on too many basses to count!)--never thought I'd say that!

10. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

So, what are the Sadowski's like? They are on my "trial" list as well as the GHS Brite Flats, Lakland Jo's and D'Aquistos. The GHS precision flats were great on my Jack bass, but I think they might be too muddy on my RB5. I think the next string I try will be a round core; hopefully I can find a 5'r set in a 38". :eyebrow:

11. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've reviewed these strings before as have others. try a search. but in short i love them great strings.

trav

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Agreed, GREAT strings. Have em on two of my basses! Tried lots of strings and I love these the best!