1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario Chromes Gauge difference?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MicG, Apr 25, 2009.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Hey there everyone,

Just picked up a set of Chromes for my P-bass:bassist:. I'm wondering about the gauge difference between the set I have which is the 45-100 set and the 50-105 set I've also seen. What's the big difference? tension/feel? sound? I noted that the 5 string set shares the same specs as the set I bought except for that low .132 "B" string. I can't wait try out these chromes but I've been wondering about this. Any ideas?

2. Usually the heavier wet will have a little more tension than the lighter gauge set. This is the rule but there are exceptions. The larger gauges usually have a fuller, more boomy sound than the lighter gauge. I prefer the feel of the lighter gauges myself.
    I have owned that particular set before. One of the best sets of strings I ever used. They are a little brighter than most flat sets, though not as bright sounding as TIs.

3. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Thanks fretlessguy. Yea I play mostly alt. rock and I'm trying these out to see what kind of ground sonically I can cover, I like a full sound but definitely not looking for boomy so much as tight bass that can lock in with my drummer. I'm not sure if more tension necessarily equals a better string in my book either so these might be just what I'm looking for.

4. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    I would go with the 100-45 set unless you are downtuning , ive used both the 100-45 and the 105-50 set and the 105 set feels noticeably more tense , YMMV