D'Addario chromes internal buzz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gander, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Just installed a set of D'Addario chrome flatwound strings. I noticed a slight buzz on the A string when I was checking intonation. The buzz seems to be internal on the string. The A string buzzes when the E string is plucked also. It's not noticeable when amplified. All the other strings are quiet. Is this normal for these strings? They are ECB81-5 long scale.
  2. I've used the D'Addario Chrome Flat super longs and never noticed the problem that you described. It seems that this came up one other time on a post and someone suggested that the string may not have seated in the nut groove. They suggested loostening the string and lubricating the nut, then re-tighten. I don't recall what type of lube was suggested to use. If you truly believe that the problem is internal to the string, D'Addario has a good reputation for making good on string problems.
  3. I don't use the chrome flats, I used EXL170's and the same thing happened to me only it was very noticeable through the amp. I put on a new set and it went away, but after that set went dead quick (two hours of practicing) I switched to Dean Markley American Fliers, they are great and cheap!! Check em out if you can. ;)
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i've tried two sets on d'addario prisms, and both times, there was a flabby A that buzzed.
  5. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Thanks for the feedback. The nut is a good fit and I've pretty much eliminated that as the problem. I contacted D'Addario and they offered to replace the string if I send them the old one. That puts me out of business for a couple of weeks. Think I'll just live with it. D'Addario says:

"Under-windings and core combinations vibrate freely, providing a true, clear sound"

Maybe that's what I'm hearing. Thanks again, guys and God bless.
  6. slejhamer

Aug 1, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Apparently this is still an issue with some D'Addario sets - I put a set of Chromes on my bass last night and the G string has what seems to be an internal rattle. I've emailed them to see if they'll replace the string; hopefully they will be responsive.
  7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    the rattle can come from your nut or the spring on the screw on your bridge. sometimes the spring rattles against the screw.
  8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    This is what turned me off to D'addario strings. had a brand new one break right out of the package. While many of the other companies will send a new one right away, D'addario wanted all the strings from the package. Then they would determine if there was a problem (this is on their website) After making that determination, then they would replace the string.

Great, I thought. I'd be without spares, while it took them God knows how long to determine "if" there was a problem.

After a little begging, I got a new string. believe me, with the string came a letter, letting me know how much it cost them to do this. Of course, product catalogs came with the string!

Like I said when that happened-thats their right to do that I guess. Just like it was my right to use something else. In about 20 years of using their strings, that was the first time I had a problem with them, and they busted my chops.

No problem, I have Fender rounds now-I like'em.

Good luck.
  9. slejhamer

Aug 1, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Thanks Mark. I had already checked the nut and the bridge saddle screws, but I hadn't thought to check the spring. Unfortunately that's not the culprit either.
  10. I've had this issue....

I don't buy "internal string buzz"...just doesn't seem possible...

here's what I check

1) bridge saddle position
    2) bridge saddle spring
    3) bridge witness point (make sure that the string is bent properly over the saddle by pressing down on it near the bridge)
    4) proper nut pressure (do you have enough wraps on your tuner to proper press the string into the nut slot?) A-strings are notorious for this, especially on "Fenderesque" headstocks.
    5) nut witness point (make sure that the string is bent properly seated in the nut by pressing down on it near the nut)
  11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA

if the string is wrapped around a core, what is buzzing? unless the string isn't wrapped tight enough, in which case you would SEE where it was messed up (elevated).

i think its a setup issue. Check your tuners as well, sometimes a loose tuner screw can cause buzz.
  12. slejhamer

Aug 1, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Okay, you guys win - I took the string off, wiped it down with a cloth and denatured alcohol just to make sure it was clean, made sure all the bass hardware was tight (it was), greased up the nut again with some more pencil lead, finally reinstalled the string and ... the tinny rattling noise is gone! :hyper:

Wish I knew what caused the problem, but I guess I'll have to be blissfully ignorant. :)
  13. horak

May 31, 2006
    could have been the ball-end... experienced same problem w/ Labella flatwounds. just changed the position of the ball-end a little bit, et voilà, the buzz/rattle was gone...
  14. naquadaX

Mar 5, 2006
    I had the same problem with my A string. I filled the A string notch in the nut with super glue and baking soda (thanks pkr2 for the recipe ! :) )

That way, the A string was a little bit higher in the notch and the buzz disappeared.
  15. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    I also had that kind of problem, it was loose truss rod. First I cooldn't understand where this buzz is coming from, I tighten all the screws and then one guy from TB told me that it could be truss rod.