1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'Addario Chromes Or Ernie Ball Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by p-bass, Oct 24, 2009.

1. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    ,or does it matter ? I have been using D'Addario Chromes on a couple of my Fender Precisions. I wanted to string up another P-Bass with Chromes, but Guitar Center was out of the gauge I use. I saw some Ernie Ball Flatwounds in my gauge and bought them. Now I've heard these strings are very close but I gotta say, I can't hear or feel any diffirence between the Ernie Ball flats and the Chromes. I now think that these are exactly the same set. Has anybody else experienced this ?

2. I have heard that Ernie Ball flats are, in fact, Chromes in a different package. Either way, you're getting a great set of strings. IMO.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've heard that too. I would like to know for sure.

4. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Might be true, I always thought that EB's flats weren't as bright though... but that might be due to D'Addario's packaging.

5. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've tried both and they are identical in terms of feel, tone and tension. They both have the blue silk wrapping too. I think the Chromes fit better on Fender basses though. The EB's were a little too long and the fat part of the string ended up going around the tuning post a little bit. The Chromes however, do not have this problem. So, if you're putting the strings on a Fender, I would recommend the Chromes instead.

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Chromes.

Wait.. wait..

Yeah, Chromes.

7. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Never tried Chromes but love the EB flats.
    Looks like the Chromes are a few bucks cheaper (at least from Just Strings)

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Hummmm...so you are saying that its possible that EB flats are really chromes that EB packs them under their label? I love chromes, hearing they are a bit longer than reg chromes will cure the thru bass string problems reg chromes have on Fender string thru bodys. Are they cheaper? Might need to look into these.