1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario Chromes problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pankykapus, Apr 5, 2009.

1. pankykapus

pankykapus

Jun 25, 2007
    Okay so I bought the mentioned strings and they arrived the other day now I had the time to put them on. (on my Bongo)

The G and D strings snapped at the tuner where it goes into the hole every time I started to tune the string. I needed to cut it every time and now I'm at the state where I'm pissed off and the string is at the state where I can't cut more from it.

Should I contact the customer support or is it me who's done something bad? Its cost was not that low to ignore it and I'm really not sure what the heck the problem is.

BTW I bought it at Thomann store in Germany, their customer support is quite good but I don't live there and here in Hungary they don't have any stores.
    Should I contact them via mail or just learn how to restring a bloody bass?

Thanks

2. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    Either the strings are flawed or the tuners have sharp edges and cut the string.

I'd go with faulty strings: I guess that bass has been strung with different strings before. And, if it were a faulty tuner, the odds of two of them having the exact same fault developing simultaneusly are slim. Just to be sure, you could string it with your old strings: if they don't break, it's the strings for sure.

Btw, D'Addario chromes are fine strings and I've never had trouble with them. It the strings are flawed, maybe it's the entire shipment that specific dealer has? I'd order new ones from some other dealer.

3. pankykapus

pankykapus

Jun 25, 2007
    I have Ernie Balls strings on them now, there's no problem with them and never had any ever.
    I guess you're right but they cost 30Euros I didn't expect them to be like that.