Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'Addario Chromes Soft Long flatwounds .45-1.00

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was looking into getting these strings for my fretless but will they fit a 34'' scale bass? They say 'long' but how long are they, really.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes, the regular long-scale Chromes fit 34". And sound nice on fretless IMO. If your bridge is string-through-body, they might be a little short; I'm not sure, though, I don't have STB bridges.

3. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    I have a set of Chromes on my MIA jazz, and I strung it through the body without a problem. I'm not sure if they are the aforementioned 'soft' strings, but they fit, and sound excellent.

4. timsway

timsway

Oct 1, 2002
    wallingford ct
    i've used those strings for years on both fretted and fretless basses and they are great, last a long time if you wipe them after each use, etc.

BUT no longer! i just bought a set of thomastik infeld flatwounds and they are the best electric bass strings i've ever played. still new (and pricey!), so i dunno how long they'll last, but i've had great success with their strings on upright.

(plugging away, seeking endorsement ;-)

tim

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You will like the TI's. The older they get the better they sound. I have them on my precision and couldn't be happier with them.

Figjam, let us know how you like the Chromes after you try them

Dan

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ok i will. Thanks guys.

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Chromes are in fact long enough to go on my 35"cale Peavey G-bass with no problem. :)

8. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I just bought this very same set of Chromes to replace my TI Flats. I think the Chromes have more bite. I'm pleased.