1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'addario Chromes - uneven tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Anybody notice uneven tension with Chromes? I've tried 2 different gauge sets on 2 different basses. Relief on one side of the neck is much greater than the other. About .007 or .008 greater.

I know it's normal for the treble side to have slightly less relief than the bass side, but this seems rather excessive. Anybody else seen this with Chromes? Any suggestions? TIA

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    No. Maybe not the most even tension out there, but it is even enough that I've never noticed a disparity. I use chromesteel flats without issue. Weird.

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Well, turns out I simply underestimated the tension of the Chromes and didn't wait long enough for the neck to shift. It kept moving after my previous measurement. It's settled down nicely now. :D

I considered deleting this thread due to my own mistake. But it might help someone else switching from rounds to flats... took about a week for the neck to really settle down and stabilize under the new tension.

Play on!