1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'addario Chromes Vs. Fender Flatwounds: Which for Fender Precision?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jan 1, 2007.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I have Chromes on now, very excellent, very bright sounding for flats yet deep and warm. But am I missing something with Fender Flats sense my bass is made by Fender?

2. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    I don't think you will be missing anything.

I use Chromes on my P Bass Special and love them!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I use Chromes Primarilly but have used Fender flats in an emergency. I've always felt the Fenders were a bit lacking in the treble and were very stiff, however provided a more vintagey vibe. The Chromes are a more modern take on flatwounds.

4. i swear by d'addario strings, and i've used the chromes before. very good strings. nice warm mellow tone. try the heavy gauge ones. and if this is your cup of tea, might i suggest steve harris signature flatwounds (rotosound, gauge .110-.055). i've found that flatwounds are best in a heavy gauge.

anyway enjoy,
    flatwounds are a wonderful thing.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 In the same gauge, the Fender's are stiffer and will have more "thump". The Chromes are much brighter and have more sustain.

If you like the brightness of the Chromes, you will be disappointed with the Fenders.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The Fender's have an almost muted thing going on after they break in. I've described an L1000 I had Fender's on for 4 years (1 set) as being a "tunable kick drum". Major thud. Fabulous for dub that setup was. Ghost notes had about the same impact as fully fretted... fantastic for sime sues but for me, it could never be the only setup. The Fender's are very high tension and can require adjustment to your setup.

Chromes are a heck of a nice string as well.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    You can't go wrong with either. Fender flats have perfect tension and are thumpy and middy. Chromes are a great all around string.