Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'addario Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basss, Apr 10, 2004.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I'm thinking of trying these strings. What do you guys think of them? I've done a search and found various opinions. Some say they have a lot of midrange. Others describe them as more of an old school thud.

I've read a lot about the TI Flats too but I think the tension would be too low for me. I recently switched from DR sunbeams to TI powerbass and I like the slightly higher tension of the TI's so I think the Jazz flats will be too soft for me. I guess I'm looking for medium-light tension.

I would like some mids in my sound so I'm not looking for super dead thud and I would need them to be versitile enough for various styles (no heavy metal). Would DA Chromes fit the bill?

2. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I would say yes. I have a set on my bass right now. The Chromes or the Rotosound flats. Buy a lighter gauge if you go with the Rotos because they are high tension.

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001

4. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    I'm looking into a set of these too (type ECB81-5SL). I've been using Dean Markley (2618's), but the 'A' string is usually a bit short for a 35" scale. I ended-up shimming it at the nut because I didn't want my old ones back on there. Sound-wise, the DM's are nice flats IMO on my BTB.

While I'm here, I've got a new set of D'Addario 1/2 Rounds (type EHR71-5SL) if you want a new set cheap. I'll mail them out for $22.00 + $5.00 shipping USPS - they were $37.00 @ M/F. Thery're UNUSED.

After I opened the bag, I bummed when I saw the B was tapered (I didn't wanna set up for that). They'll work as an equivalent EHR71-5 SHR Medium set on a 34" scale, and probably an EHR71M on a 4-string. E-Bay here we go if no one wants 'em :meh:

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks
    How articulate are these strings? Do they speak well when playing busier lines or is the sound too mushy?

Armybass,
    The term "twangy" concerns me. That is one reason I'm looking to move away from roundwounds. Is it an annoying twang? or something different from the roundwound thing.

6. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I don't get the twang comment with the Chromes. Don't sweat it! I despise rounds because of their twang, but I'm cool with the Chromes. You won't find the Chromes twangy at all relative to rounds. To me they are a tad bit mushy, but I feel that way about all flats. The high notes don't jump out at me, but then again, I have them strung on a bass with a mudbucker pickup and a basswood body. This bass emphasizes more lows, so it could be more the bass than the strings. I'm guessing that the mushiness will improve with age as the sustain settles a little and they become more percussive. I'm going to try a set of grounds for this very reason, just to see if they have more bite than flats. I still very much recommend the Chromes if you're specifically looking to try a set of flats.

Have you looked into GHS Pressurewounds? If you're looking for a round-like string with less twang, they may be the ticket. I've heard 1/2 rounds are similar and Rotosound makes a pressure wound string, but I haven't tried these. I have tried the SIT pressure wounds (Silencers). Very twangy!

7. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Well, I couldn't resist the hype - I just ordered a set of the TI jazz flats from bassguitarstrings.com. The TI powerbass strings I'm using now are great-just a bit too much of that roundwound metallic snarl. I've been working on a lighter touch anyway so maybe I'll be able to hang with the low tension of the JF's. Thanks again everyone.

P.S. How do the TI's react to restringing? I may be wanting to switch these strings to a different bass soon.

8. i absolutly hated the chromes, i hated the sound the sticky feel, they absolutly sucked ass. i had a fretless basss which is wh6y i had to use stupid flats, somewere alright but, then i went to roundwound d'addario nickel roundwound, absolutly spectacualer they sound amazing and feel great. im tearing up my fingerboard but i love the sound so much.

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I tried the TI JF's at a rehearsal last night. So far I really like them. They have a nice growly midrange without the metallic twang of rounds. The bottom is nice and thumpy. I had to raise my action a bit but the soft feel of the strings is great and easy to play. The B is tighter that the powerbass B which I really like and it seems to balance with the other strings better as well.

By the way bassguitarstrings.com was great to deal with. I ordered the strings sunday night, recieved shipping confirmation monday morning, and got the strings on tuesday - thats fast! Free shipping too.

10. Artisan

Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    I put a set of these on my new Precision Bass last week. While they are infinitely better than the stock round wounds, they are too soft and light for my taste. Also, they sound somewhat mushy and indistinct. I'm sure it is a good sound for simulating an upright bass, but it is not the sound you would want for hard rock or even electric new country music. Of course, the type of bass and its set up, plus the type of amp and speakers, as well as the bassist's playing style, all factor into the equation. I'm not saying they are bad strings. I am saying that they are too soft for me.

I like a flatwound with lots of mass, large diameter and a feel that is somewhat stiff. That usually gives me the clear open E string that I want without sacrificing the thickness in tone that I seek.

Some years ago, Rotosound made such a flatwound set of strings. I'm searching for some of them. I do not remember their nomenclature, so I'll probably have to go through a few sets to find them.

11. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    You probably need to loosen that truss rod too. Those TI's put a lot less force on your neck.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You have to be careful about what they are being compared to. Compared to roundwounds, they have lots of "thud". Compared to other flatwounds, they are bright.

13. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've had them on for a day and so far the neck hasn't changed that much.
    The combined tension of the powerbass set is not all that much higher than the jazz flats so I think I'm good.

I agree with this completely. They are pretty close to roundwounds in sound. Just less metallic and more thump which I am really diggin.

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I agree. You still get a nice clear tone but without the overtones of a roundwound. To me it is a very pleasing sound.

Dan

15. Artisan

Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    I located the Rotosound flats that I was looking for, replaced the chromes with them and am now happy.

The rotosound flats have lots more definition and growl than the chromes. More midrange, I suppose. I'm a happy old schooler now. :D

16. I'm very new to bass I think it'd be easier to have lighter gague strings, do you think .045-.132 chromes for my 5 string will be ok? :confused: I love flatwound on my guitar, so i want to stick with flatwound.

thanks

17. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I used chromes for awhile on my fretless- They have a very smooth adn solid thud to them. They are very high tension strings, and may hurt your fingers after extended playing time. They ahve good tone, but I always thoguht they lacked mids- more of a high/low string. They woudl compliments a Swamp Ash Fretless Jazz quite well actually...
    I've never used rotosounds, so uhhh ya..

18. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I've been using cromes for around 13 years and have them on 8 of my basses, body woods are: maple, 4 alder [2 of these are fretless], mahogany, myrtle/padauk and ash. And on all 8 basses I have more mids then I can ask for, as well as bite[even on 5 year old strings], and I have NEVER found them to be mushy; I love these strings, especially that nice tight B string. I also have a set of IT jazz flats on one bass and I do like the sound of them as well, they don't give me as solid a sound, or seem to cut through as well, but they are great for slapping and more roundwondy types of playing, without all the squeaking.

I think it comes down to how you play and what you play, and what your sound is to you, stings are personal.:D

19. so Thomastik-Infeld JF 345 Nickel Flatwound Roundcore .043-.136 strings would be quite a bit lighter than the Chromes Flatwound .045-.132?

20. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I've used the Regular/Long Chromes since before I even owned a fretless bass. Great sounding strings, in my opinion. I would describe them as having a warm bass and middle range with slightly subdued highs. Very similar to an upright sound. Mids are there, at least much more than the stock Fender flatwounds that came on my bass. As far as twang...at least on my setup I get very little twang or string noise. The highs are there, don't get me wrong, but it's more of a warm and round sounding high than the harsh and brittle high that you get with roundwounds or other flatwounds. So far, I haven't found any flatwounds that I have liked better (I have yet to try Rotosound or TI though, but last I checked both of those are also considerably more expensive).