1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by f.c.geil, Jul 21, 2012.

1. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    For those of you with Chromes on a P Bass, are the E & A strings supposed to sound like a piano playing the note as written? In other words, there is no meat on them, they sound a little thin, like they're being played an octave above the usual bass range, and the top is very zingy and clanky. Does this go away? The D & G strings sound much more like new flat strings should, at least to my ear, but the others? No. How do you EQ these strings to sound good in a mix, which I hear about Chromes a lot? I play old Country, Motown, Classic Rock, & Blues.

This is my first set of Chromes, but am a huge flats fan, having played Sadowsky Black Labels, LaBellas, Fenders, Rotosound 77s...

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Give em a few weeks, they'll calm down.

I'm a huge fan of Chromes, but for the first couple of weeks they almost sound like rounds, they're just pretty wild right out of the box.

In a week or two (depending on how much you play them), they'll settle down into the thump you were expecting.

I usually run my EQ pretty much flat, with a drop in my highs and a slight drop in lows with a tiny boost to my low mids.

3. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    Which set?

They will settle down, but a .105 on the E and at least an .80 on the A seems necessary to me

4. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I have the extra lights: ECB80SL - Super Long .040 - .095.

5. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    that'll be the problem

6. Can you elaborate?

7. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Please

8. BloozBass

BloozBass

Oct 29, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I finally, after 3 months of solid playing, gave up on the Chromes. I lost patience waiting for them to sound like flats. Keep in mind, I'm used to playing Roto 77's, so I know what 'live' flats sound like. I switched to the GHS Precision Flats, and am much happier. This is a fairly recent change, so I'm not sure what my long-term feeling is about the GHS, but I wanted something that sounded similar to LaBellas without the price tag for my 6 string. As always YMMV, etc.

Blooz :bassist:

9. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    just what i said in my first post

10. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Kesh is trying to say the thicker the gauge, the "meatier" the tone (some call it dark or otherwise). Thinner gauges tend to have an issue with sounding... well, thin. Not all the time, but some brands or set of strings sound that way. I, too, use ECB80 set of Chromes and my "E" is the only string that still has that piano chime in it - all the others have been broken in. It might go away and/or it might not. Used the medium gauge Chromes for awhile on my old Squier CV Precision - never a piano chime from them. I can't give you an answer on an EQ other than keep it all flat and work each frequency from there and so on... Also, with the genres that you play, you might just want to use La Bella, GHS, or Sadowsky flats. Chromes are a very special flat that can only get you into ballpark range of the traditional sounding flatwound, but never the EXACT tone.

Side note: I play blues, classic rock, and Motown stuff as well (no country) and I only take out my Hoppus bass strung with Chromes for the classic and hard rock stuff EQ'd with pumped mids and treble with the horns on. Blues and Motown are reserved strictly for my Hoppus bass strung with GHS flats with reduced treble and flat everything else. From my experience, Motown EQ with Chromes sounds muddy and muffled, at least with my setup.

EDIT: Forgot to add my setup is pretty basic (crappy) running an Acoustic 200 head into two Acoustic 1x15" cabs and a Hartke Bass Attack preamp. Again, not the greatest setup in the world, but the tone is near roundwound territory with Chromes - but without the grind due to the flat texture. (Adding my gear to my signature now for easier references!)

11. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Thanks, PBnJ! That was really helpful information - really, I appreciate you taking the time to answer.