Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'addario discontinuing Halfrounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ryco, Jun 4, 2005.

1. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    My string dealer informed me the big D is no longer making EHR71/72. I've been using these on my fretless since....well nevermind.....a long time. The dealer was suprised cuz he said these were "good sellers".

Guess I'll try flats starting with Markley Chromes.

If yer really stuck on the Halfies by D'addrio - horde now while still some left.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I serious doubt it... I just got a set a couple months ago of the new reissued nickel halfrounds. I'd bet your dealer just isn't carrying them or something like that.

I'm gonna email my contact and see is he can confirm it or not.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I just got a reply...

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks for the info James. I'm thinking of going back to the HR's after using TI SA's. I really like the mids on the HR's, especially in more exposed settings. Did they say anything about what they will be adding to the line?

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    FYI: EHR is now ENR. The model number has changed.

Yeah, I'm real pleased with the Half-Rounds. I'd been using SIT and I do love the dark thump... but longed for a little more expression. The Half-Rounds are just the ticket for most of the tones I use.

6. BWil

BWil

May 16, 2005
    SoCal USA
    I almost had a heart attack when I saw the lead post. I've been using HR's since the 80's. That's my sound, man! Thanks for clearing this up.

7. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Yeah Thanx James! The dealer I was using was taking forever to fill my string order so I finally called to see what gives. That's when he gave me the "no longer manufacturing" story. He sent me some Markley flatwounds as a consulation prize so I'll try those just to see, but like everyone else here I'm glad the info is false cuz D/HRs have been my mainstays forever. I guess I shoulda checked snopes.com! Anyhoo sorry for any heart attacks. peace

ps> was just about to email d'addario to find out so I could post back either way!

pps> 7:30 am! Good gawd man don't you sleep?! ;P

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    maybe next week ;)

9. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Not to beat a dead horse but when the designation eNr (sic) popped up I immediately thought "ah - nickel". Emailed D'addario and t'was true:

------------------------------------------------

Hello, thanks for inquiring about Half Rounds. They are still available, but yes, they are now pure nickel. This is back to the original 70s sound of Half Rounds. Please visit our web site for more details.

Best regards,

Brian Vance

http://daddariostrings.com/DADProducts.aspx?ID=3&CLASS=ACCA

-----------------------------------------------

...... so there you have it from the dead horse's mouth (ick!).

Big D Halfies are no longer available in stainless steel - eHr. Nickel is softer and I find it a little less brilliant but more warm. Also leaves residue on everything but is prob easier on nuts and saddles (no horse jokes here please). Also some ppl are allergic to nickel and may cause rash - I'm OK as long as it don't contain chlorine, codiene or cat!

I'll try 'em in nickel but I do like steel.

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Anyone know if the low B in the five string set is tapered?

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Whew!!!

Thanks for checking into this, James. I've been using them on my Rick 4001 since I bought it in 1980. No other type or brand of strings work as well on it!!

- Art

12. BWil

BWil

May 16, 2005
    SoCal USA
    OK, now I am bummed. I like the stainless HR's for the brighter sound. I'm not allergic to nickel, so I guess I'll give 'em a try. I have 2 sets of EHR71's in my bag, so I won't have to go straight into withdrawal. Has anybody tried the new ones yet?

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Yeah, I've had them on my 6 for a few months now... I dig them a lot

yup! about 1/2 the diameter at the ball.

14. BWil

BWil

May 16, 2005
    SoCal USA
    Thanks again James.

15. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    How is the difference soundwise between the old SS and the new nickels?

16. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Pretty much what you would expect - the nickles are warmer with less metallic edge than the SS. They are pretty similar though. If you've tried the SS HR's the nickles will sound somewhat close to that after you've played them for a month.