D'Addario Electric Bass XL Nickel Wound Piccolo Bass Long, .020 - .052, EXL280

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Aug 22, 2005.

1. basically, i'm wondering if these strings will fit the scale of my bass. i'm playing a squier p-bass (34"). I saw Labella piccolo sets but i'm thinking that .030 E is a little thin compared to my .110 (Ernie Ball power Slinky) E bass strings (i used the set with the .080 guage E, and it was way too tight, so i think .052 might fit me right .....i know that it'll be a lot thinner, but i want the same enbodiment of tone that i get with my regular bass. i'm basically thinking since i use nickel rounds regularly that these should be fine so long as they'll actually fit the bass.
  2. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    these are not bass string in essence and the .52 E will fit your bass but it will NOT be a regular E. it will be an E one octave higher like the main string on a guitar. they are called picollo bass strings. marcus miller has a piccolo bass i think but doesnt use it often along with some others. piccolo bass=4 string guitar with bad pickups :rollno: IMO
  3. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Those should fit a 34" fine. Standard gauge strings usually have E from around .095-.105, so if you're looking for regular strings you want something in a set like 0.035 - 0.095; 0.040 - 0.100; 0.045 - 0.105. Or some other variation. If you're after piccolo strings, then the set you mentioned will work great. You're tuning options are nearly limitless. Not necessarily and octave higher. Michael Manring (who participates in a forum here) tunes his piccolo strings to regular low E - they will be very loose tension-wise, but it will work.
  4. yea, i want to tune an octave up with these strings...not E standard tho, D standard. i might have the wrong idea here, but thinking of music theory, if i'm talking about my squier that i tune to D (.045-105), then half the thickness, there should be minimal tension change other than the .005 when i tune to D? i'm thinking that decimal should be relatively ignorable