1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario EPS170

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by funnyfingers, Mar 25, 2013.

1. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    They sound really nice, but the low E actually sounds exactly like the E at the 7th fret. Still like them a lot, just noticed that pretty quickly.

2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    You mean tone wise? Or is enough of the fundamental missing that the low E sounds higher pitched? Can't quite telll what you are saying by the brief description.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    what FourBanger said...

You want a balanced tone between strings though!

4. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Like they are both the same exact note. It may have been the room along with the new strings. I am playing through headphones now and through a DI device, and all sounds correct. With the last strings, La Bella SS rounds, I didn't notice this. I'll play it later through the amp here at home to see if it does the same thing as before...

5. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Ok well just tested it and the fundamental is there but I guess it is so deep that it is lost at the garage that I play in. Also interestingly enough my Snark tuner kept wanting to call it a B and switched between be and E. So what does this really mean compared to the La Bella strings?

6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Probably means the La Bellas were giving you more fundamental and the new strings are more concentrated on the harmonic, enough so that your amp makes a problem out of it I guess.

7. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    The fundamental is not missing, it's just that the harmonic is powerful, and the human ear is more sensitive to frequencies in that harmonic range than the fundamental. This usually balances out as the string breaks in. Also, occasionally the P/U height is in a Sweet Spot that renders certain harmonics a bit out of balance. Try raising or lowering the P/U a bit.

8. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    That sounds very right. Changing the pickup volumes changes the effect as did changing the room itself. It sounds very bassy in my house but that is some how quite different in a garage... Either way I like the sound.

9. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    "Trust your feelings Luke" If you like the sound, then all is right with the world. "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!!! The great and powerful FLASH has spoken!!!!!!";)