1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

D'Addario EXL160S Nickel Wound Bass Guitar Strings, Medium, 50-105, Short Scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Knavery, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Hey guys,
    I just bought a short scale Birdsong Sadhana. I'm looking for the best strings for the type of music I play. I've been playing for 25 years and always just for what was available--probably mostly round wounds. I play mostly funk and rock/heavy rock. Would these string fit best? I'm about to hit the order button. :)

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Not all short scale basses accept short scale Strings.

The heavier gauges are more preferred to many players of short scale basses... This is one of the few rounds that are 50-105

3. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    What do you suggest based on the style of music I play? I have no other information to provide other than that. Thanks.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Nickel rounds are the most versatile. No problem there... Just want to ensure correct fitment. Measure ball end to nut. If less than 32" then these will fit.

Anything else is going to be darker and warmer sounding... Or lower tension.

5. staurosjohn likes this.
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    staurosjohn likes this.
  7. This is a good thing for a short scale as they don't get too loose and floppy.

8. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    OK I measured from the very back of the bridge to the nut and it was almost exactly 33". And it is string through body so there's probably a good inch more there. Based on that, do I need medium scale strings?

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Correct. As I expected that bass requires medium scale. Unfortunately the gauge options are slimmer for off the shelf sets of rounds.

The EXL160M is available.

Other good sets..

DR Hi Beams and Sunbeam are 45-105 but are round core so are more flexible and more responsive than hex core rounds.

That GHS set is only short scale.

All la bella sets are available in medium scale rounds flats and tapes.

10. The GHS Boomers short scale set I mentioned above won't be long enough as the winding length (ball end to silk/taper) on them is only 32.75".

11. This is why it's always a good idea to think in terms of "winding length" instead of "scale length" when trying to determine what would fit a particular bass.

This is also why I like dealing with GHS as they always include the info on the actual winding length. D'Addario doesn't do that.

12. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    You need the SMR-45 set which has a 34" winding length.... To make things more complicated DR calls them short scale but they are really medium scale.

There are other sources...

DerekW and staurosjohn like this.
  13. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Sorry for all the questions, but how do you tell how long they are by looking at the product page? Thanks.

14. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The image is MR-45 which is the part number for the long scale. The one you want is SMR-45

15. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    You guys are the experts, but no where on the any of the sites I looked at actually has the length of the SMR-45s. But I trust you and ordered a pair. I wish there was an easier way to tell. It seems an awful lot like tribal knowledge.

16. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Unfortunately this website (talkbass) limits the information I can post so I can not directly link you as the information is on my website.

staurosjohn likes this.
  17. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    I see that. :)

I just ordered from you. You're cheaper than anyone else around by a good margin.

staurosjohn and SLaPiNFuNK like this.
  18. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Thank you!

staurosjohn likes this.
  19. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    No problem. I'm happy to give me business to someone that takes the time to explain things. Also, thanks to michael_t for the tips. :)

michael_t and staurosjohn like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021