1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

d'addario exl170, your thoughts

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ElliotBass, Nov 4, 2006.

1. First off, sorry if this topics already in the forum, its. Question, what do you guys think of d'addario exl170s? thanks a lot

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The D'Addario XL strings are my weapon of choice. However, I use a slightly different gauged set (a bit heavier E and A string) but they're, IMO, the best readilly availble string on the market, and absolutely the best at their price point from my findings. Their QC is great (got one bad strings between hundreds of sets for electric guitars, acoustic guitars, double bass, electric bass, 12 string bass) and can't complain at all.

Tonally they're crisp out of the package and are anything but unbearable. They develop a mellow thump as time goes on, and are comfortable on the fingers as well.

Unlikely that you'll catch me using something other than EXL165's, EPS165 (the steel version) or ECB-81 (flatwounds) by D'Addario.

3. thanks, im getting a set tommorow then

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My choice as well; clear highs, solid lows, but without the stainless steel rounds "unbearable zing;" at least for me...but I'm not a slapper or pick guy; I'm all fingerstyle. These feel good, are a nice meduim tension, last long, and are a great warm sound with enough high end to cut well...
    The price point is real nice too...

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've been using the lighter-gauge XL220's for about 5000 years now (ok, actually since about '91.) Never had a bad set and they have the tone I like.

6. Cheers guys, d'addarios it is

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Another vote for the exl170s, just picked up a new set last week. Tim, what do you switch the E and A with? I've been wanting to get a heavier G.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I use the EXL165 set, with a .085 A and .105 G string.

Have you tried the EXL160's?

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    My bad, I actually play the 160s, I've never seen the 165s in the store though...

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I play them. I love them. All my bass belong to D'Addario.

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO

12. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I like them and I am more of a Flatwound Guy. They came as stock strings on my G&L Tribute L-2000, and I would not have purchased them in any other situation.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    12 year old thread resurrection!

SBassman likes this.
  14. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Sounds like a good sound choice to me. It's why I use flats or nickels. I stopped using steel-only rounds in about 1994.

trothwell likes this.
  15. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Wow. I knew zombies were the thing these days... but I was suckered into responding. The thread wants our brains.

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I used to use these quite a lot.
    Then I switched to Dunlop super bright nickle when they came out; they seem to me to be brighter, and, sweeter oin the way they deliver it, and, maybe a little lower tension.
    Having said that, I bought a new G&L recently, which came with the DA XL170, and I didn't immediately take them off.
    When they're done, it'll be Dunlops tho.