1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'addario EXP review

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basss, Aug 14, 2004.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've had these on my bass for about a month now and thought I'd post a review since I haven't found much talk about them around here. They are basically XL's with a coating on the outer wrap which is supposed to make them last longer (we'll see about that- so far so good). I got a set of the 165's. I'm pretty finicky about tension so I replaced the D string with a .060 and bought a .130 B for my 5'er (USA Custom guitars P5). This made for a nice balanced med tension set. The coating gives these strings a sort of ruberized feel which sounds wierd but actually feels quite nice. It makes for a softer and at the same time less greasy feel.

I would describe the sound of these strings as smooth and midrangy with an attenuated high end. They replaced a set of DR sunbeams. The DR's seemed to have a more scooped sound with extended lows and highs. This gave the lower strings a nice openness but the D and G strings had too much of that metallic ping in the high end for my taste - even after a few weeks of regular playing (the bass is naturally bright and deep with somewhat scooped mids). The EXP's have a sort of compressed sound in the low and high end (while still have plenty of each) which works well with this bass. I think the coating they put on these strings naturally atenuates some of the high end.

I also compared the EXPs to an moderately used set of TI powerbass strings. The power bass had more of a nasaly midrange that would work well for rock. The EXPs were a lot smoother with a much less aggressive high end.

If you are looking to tame an overly bright bass and/or need some more mids in your sound these string are worth checking out. I would like to hear what anyone else has to say about these strings.

2. Thanks for the review basss. Haven't tried the EXP's but XL's are fine strings.