1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario EXPs - Do they actually last longer?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Handyman, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I normally use D'Addario EXL rounds, but picked up a set of their coated EXP strings on a lark.

I stuck them on my SB5000, and so far they seem fine. Similar to the plain ol' nickle plated rounds, but perhaps a bit less zingy (which I was hoping for on this bass), and the feel of the strings surface is a bit more slick.

So do these things actually last longer than the normal uncoated D'Addarios? I'll keep watch on how these do starting now, but I'm curious what everyone's experience has been.

If they last twice as long for me, I might make a habbit of buying them. Otherwise, back to the good old EXLs.

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    How long do you usually get out of a set of standard Xl's?

3. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I usually put on a new set every 2-3 months depending on how they're sounding. I've been blessed with mostly noncorrosive sweat.

4. I use em on occasion. Definitely last longer ime.
    I've got the ol' acid hands & can make a bright spankin' new Ni set go dull after one gig. Three at most. :( Only time I leave a set of un-coated rounds on is if I WANT the "dead-rounds" sound. That'll work in no time for me.
    EXP's sure last a heap longer for me. I can get a few good months outta a set. They're a li'l darker (less bright) at first as you say, but only slightly & I like this, but they'll stay pretty much that same way for a good 10 gigs-for me at least.
    I'll also drop these & all my strings-even tape-wound- into denatured alky-hole for 24hrs, hang em to dry, & they're 98% new again. I do this probly 2x/set. With my sweaty hands, it's the only way.

5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Wow, that's pretty impressive. I can stretch it to 2 months, but typically they don't sound like I want them to after a month or so depending on gigging. The EXP's haven't usually last me a solid 2-3 months. Going into that third month though they don't sound quite like I want them to.

I really like how they sound when new. Much better than new XL's to my ears. I like the slightly subdued high end.

6. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    I use EXL:s and i change strings after 10 months and they still sound good with zing. But i always washes my hands before i play. Thats my secret trick ;-)

7. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    You might also try Elixirs. IMHO best coated strings I've found, so far.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    EXP's don't flake like Elixirs do. D'Addario coats the wrap wire prior to the final wrap, as opposed to Elixir's coating, which is essentially a shrink wrap on the finished string.

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Yea, I pretty much hate Elixir strings. The goop comes off of them and looks like it's shedding. Elixir is one of two strings that I've had break on the B string too.

10. I like Elixirs as much as EXPs but they cost a heap more I've found, so..... And EXPs don't "shed" like Elixirs, they wear out more like a normal string only last longer