Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'addario EXP's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lyle, May 25, 2004.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i went to pick up a pair of elixirs from my local music store, unlucky for me they were out :bawl: so they offered me the dad exp's. there coated and all, but what do you guys think of them. i used to play dads until i discovered elixirs and never looked back, and dads are a tad bright for me anywho. just want your guy's opinion on it

2. I'd be interested to hear about them as well - I use Elixirs on my basses, but I have switched to EXPs on my acoustic guitars. I would have tried the EXPs on my bass the last time I switched the strings out, but they don't have 6-string sets.

Johann

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    anyone know? :meh:

4. Well, Elixir's have the coating over the entire string. The D'Addario's just have the coating over the spaces between the windings. So they feel and sound like normal nickel strings. But they do stay brighter a little bit longer than regular nickels.

But, if you want strings that stay bright for a long time, use stainless steel strings. DR Highbeams and Roto Swingbass'are may favorite.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hah Kaz, awesome avatar/title ;)

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't believe that is correct. I think that the windings on the EXP strings are coated first then they are wrapped around the strings core. Here's what at the D'Addario site......

EXP Coated Nickel Round Wound
    An ultra-fine layer of EXP Coating is bonded to the outer nickel-plated steel wrap wire providing a barrier against corrosion and wear and keeps strings sounding fresh and bright 3 to 4 time longer than traditional bass strings.

I agree with you here. ;)

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, friends of mine use elixir's on their 6-string whine boxes... No one I know uses EXP's

Elixir make the string, then coat the finished string. The do this after the string is assabled, so the very ends near the ball aren't coated. It's also why you get the flaking (if you use the 4-letter word that starts with "p").

D'Addario coats the outer wrap wire, then finishes the string.

So anyone tried the EXP coated Phosphor bronze ones?

8. I tried the EXP's on my rumblefish. Great strings...sound pretty much like the XL's. I dig the XL tone so I was pleased. Used them over 6 months for many hours a week with no noticeable degredation in tone. Actually swapped a set of XL's on the bass after that to see if my ears were playing tricks on me. XL's last long time as well for a plain nickel string. Stainless steel strings are to bright for my liking.

9. For my acoustic guitar, I only use D'Addario EXP's, I won't touch anything else.

On bass I've had them on sometimes for 4-5 months without noticing too much different in sound. I haven't had the problem with the coating coming off like I've had on Elixirs in the past, plus they seem to cost a bit less than Elixirs do as well.