Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'Addario Extra Long scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Crube, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Crube

Crube

Mar 19, 2005
    I'm wanting to purchase some D'Addario strings but the terminology they use for the scale lenghts is confusing me some. I've looked it up and my Washburn XB100 Bantam series' scale is "34. The Rotosound Long scale strings I am gonna take off fit nicely. On the website I am gonna buy the D'Addario ones they have short scale, medium scale, extra long and super long. If they had simply long I wouldn't be so confused LOL. Which do I go for for my particular bass? Would medium be too small or would extra/super long be TOO long? Here's the link to the list of strings I am looking at if that helps:-

http://www.zencatalog.com/Stringbuster/Catalog_D_Addario_32.html

I want to buy the 45-100 soft ones but it's just this scale thing confusing me.

2. Crube

Crube

Mar 19, 2005
    Anyone? :)

3. Crube

Crube

Mar 19, 2005
    Another *bump*

4. Magelus

Magelus

Sep 12, 2004
    Ohio
    I'm pretty sure you want the extra longs. If I remember correctly the super longs are made for 36" scale (35 if you go through body like I do). I'm not exactly sure though, so you way want to check the website, I think what you need to know is posted on there, but I don't have time to check for you.

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    You are looking for a 34" scale XL which they refer to as long scale. The DA part number is EXL170. You do not want the EXL170M, EXL170S, or EXL170SL.

The two packs (EXL170TP) are a great buy if you only need a 34" scale string.

http://www.juststrings.com/dad-exl170tp.html

Dave

6. Crube

Crube

Mar 19, 2005
    Thanks guys - it was the EXL170's I wanted, those are the long scale ones - it just didn't make it totally obvious on that website. Ordered now though. Many thanks. :) :bassist: