1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

daddario half round hatred

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by IPA, Apr 19, 2015.

1. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    Picked up a set of daddario half round(nickel) on a whim at GC. Didn't know much about them but the copy on the pack sounded interesting. I've played both flats and rounds that I have loved and hated, so I thought I'd give them a try. Going to install later tonight, but in the meantime reading past threads here, they seem to generate a lot of hatred. Anyone using them currently?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I was given a set a few weeks ago by a buddy who works in a local music store... Like the tone, hate the feel (so far)... Hoping they smooth in some, but right now, they feel very "grabby"... Almost sticky on the fretting hand. I'm going to give them a few more weeks to really break in, (I mean, Chromes take a few weeks before I really start digging them)...

-robert

3. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    Put them on and played for about half an hour. Right there with you. the tone is nicely round, works well for the fundamental type playing I do. But they are really sticky and grabby feeling on both hands. I couldn't imagine playing something fast or with a lot of ghost notes on these. I tried wiping down with alcohol but it made no difference.

I wonder if it's a coating/treatment issue or just the inherent texture of the shape of the winding? Shame.

4. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I'm guessing that D'Addario Half Rounds are made just like GHS Brite Flats, in that they're run through a grinder of some kind, which is what makes them smooth. However, those grinders also use a lubricant, which can leave a residue on the strings and also leads to the "grabby" initial texture.

5. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I used a set of D'Addario half-round nickels many years ago (on fretless) and couldn't wait to get them off - very 'grabby' with none of the promised middle ground (no pun intended) between rounds and flats - after the brightness was gone I didn't care too much for the muddiness that was left. I switched to 'Superwound', which were pressure-wound ('Linea' finish) like the Rotosound Solo Bass 55 but with the piano-string design exposed core at the bridge. Since Superwound became unavailable I have used Solo Bass 55 and thus far I am happy.

6. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    The 'sticky' feeling goes away with a bit of playing.
    I love the D'Addario Half Rounds. I can get warm, mellow tones and enough brightness for rock and slap.
    The GHS Brite Flats were nice too the few times I've had my mitts on 'em!

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    This is what I am hoping for... I'm pretty patient and can afford to give them a little time.

-robert

8. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    I'll try to wait it out a bit longer.
    same here. Gonna stick with em for a while longer!

rllefebv likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Got them on one bass that I don't use much anymore, don't hate them, don't love them.

10. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    I already ranted on this topic earlier. Perhaps a little unkind of me but now that I've had time to reflect, these strings are just not for me. I would lie down in traffic for sets of D'Addario acoustic or electrics on my other instruments, but these bass strings are simply not to my taste, and I'm no longer a patient person who will allow enough time for them to develop the voice that many others clearly hear.

11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have been use D'addario ENR 71 Halfwound with MIM Jazz in 2008.
    The feel like flat but less Smooth when in fresh, maybe the winding gap NOT close like Flatwound . And the sound is bright but less treble when new.
    After a month , seem quick to break-in, sound start mellow but not dull. The hand feeling getting better & smooth.

After half year, most playing E & A string become totally dull & lack sustain.

One thing i have to mention & the part i HATE is ~~ The Bad Nickel Smell stay in my hand after playing.

12. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    I really do enjoy the sound of these strings, but even after ~1h of play a day every day this week they are still feeling about the same. I'm still fighting them on my picking hand.

About to try a green sponge or a magic eraser on there to see if I can improve the feel at all.

13. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I've got them on my SS Jag. I like them better than round wound. Have yet to try any flatwound. I wish there was more options for short scale...... and wish I could get ground (or preferably pressure) wound strings cheaper than $45 a set here in Australia

14. Torkk

Torkk

Jan 16, 2010
    I have the half rounds D strings now. Im hating them super grabby, and I've been playing daily for 2 weeks since I put them on. Roto were the same feel as were Chromes, and my last set of 9050L fenders

15. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I just put D'Addario Half Round on my 6 string fretless. So far, I like the woody sound that these strings create together with the fretless fiingerboard. My only hope is that it won't chew up the rosewood fingerboard though I should've bought the Nylon Tape Wound instead which is said fretless fingerboard friendly.

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

They're not bad. But after trying them, I found I still prefer GHS Pressurewounds. Same basic idea. But IMO GHS is the "better" half-round string (Note: by "better" I merely mean that I personally prefer their sound and feel. So take that for what it's worth.)

The previously suggested Rotosound Solo Bass 55 strings are another very good alternative. (Those are especially nice on a JBass!) I like Roto 55s better than the D'Addarios too.

YMMV.