D'Addario Half Rounds and Chrome Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by travatron4000, Nov 17, 2002.

1. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    yep, it's string buying time again. Even after entering my 8th year of playing bass i haven't found a set of strings that is "my set". I've been using flats and really like them so i think i'm half way there. so far i've used Fender and Carvin flats and liked both but am looking for a little more bite, like mid hit, not that really bright, bite your face off growl. I really dig the thud and "Doom" (by doom i mean the sound literally, like if you say "doom") sound you get from flats. I've been looking at maybe getting D'Addario Half Rounds or Chrome Flats and just wondered what they sound like and what other bassists think. I've also been looking at TI Jazz flats or even their Jass Rounds if they're mellow and have the sound i'm looking for. Also, i use harmonics quite a bit in our songs so it'd be nice to know how harmonics respond. thanks guys.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't have much experience with Chromes, but they are true flatwounds, while the half-rounds are roundwounds that are ground down. The half-rounds are much more roundwound sounding, as you might imagine. I used them for a while, and found them to be punchy and bright, but not so bright as rounds. I'm back to roundwounds now, but I think the half-rounds are pretty cool strings. IIRC, the Chromes are fairly bright for flats, although they still have the flatwound sound.