1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario Half-Rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Can I get some feedback from people that have used them?

I don't want to know simply that you like them, but if you could try and give me a summary of the tone you get out of them, what kind of music they're best suited, in YOUR experience.

I heard John Patitucci is using them now and so as marketing
    & promo never fails - I want a set!

If I got them I'd put them on my Yamaha TRB6P, but also have a Cirrus 6 and a Lakland JO5.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use them on a real pre-CBS '64 P bass. They have a nice bright top end, feel smooth like flats and are rather high tension. Very strong fundamental, too.

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Groovy shoes.

Sounds a lot like a string for my JO

4. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Hi,
    I first started using half rounds in 1976,
    when they fist came out!
    I've been using 1/2's ever since then on fender jazz
    or any other bass,except my Lakland glaub (chrome flats)
    tone is like a bright flat,feels like flats,and gets better with age! check them out

cheers

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Sweet! More tell me more

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    One thing that I'd like to know is how they compare to other strings.

For example, does anyone have an opinion on how half-rounds compare to, say, TI flats? I say TIs because they are known as a relatively "bright" flat.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Or compared to D'Addario Chromes or the Rotosound flats, which I've heard both are the very brightest flats around.

8. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    They sound amazing on my Yamaha RBX-775. I went from the Sadowsky flats to these and the D'addario's are much cleaner and more of a brighter tone.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I changed my custom fretless to D'Ad half rounds from TI Jazz Flats a month or two ago. I've used the half rounds lots on my other fretless over the years too. The half rounds feel stickier and rough up my fingers a good bit more, but they definitely have a substantially brighter sound than the T-Is. Neither one is particularly "thumpy" IMHO.

As far as tension, all the stock sets of half rounds are a lot stiffer than the T-I standard 4 string set. But I custom ordered the closest gauges I could get to the T-Is, and the listed tensions were the lowest of any similar string I could find. The difference is less than 10%, I think. I really like this set for fusion and jazzy blues-rock, and I should've done this years ago, considering what I use this bass for most of the time. I got my custom set from Just Strings, BTW.

The builder wanted to make my bass "upright like", and the T-Is do that pretty well, but I now have an EUB I use for that these days.:cool:

10. RSalvador

RSalvador Lakland 44-94 - Markbass LMT 800 - Schroeder 1212L

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    I just put D'Addario Half-rounds on my Ibanez 5 string replacing the DR Nickel Low-Riders I had on there. They are 45-130 gauge. The DR's sounded good but there was a lot of string noise and the B seemed too loose feeling.

The Half-rounds are have very noticable higher tension. The B string is a log at .130. The sound is bright and defined on my bass but not at all harsh or tinny (spelling?) like some stainless strings I've heard. The string noise is noticeably reduced. BUT, you knew there had to be a but, I was surprised that they are not smooth. When they ground them down the feel is like metal that has been cut but not yet sanded and so your fingers don't slide on the strings well at all. The surface grabs your fingers and wants them to stick when you try to slide. I think it's finally wearing down some though, as I've been playing them quite a bit to try to get use to them.

Bottom line, I like them for their sound, and high tension. The B sounds so defined even though it's so low. I think either I will get used to the grabby surface or it will wear down so I'm good with them. Hope this was useful.

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I tried them once and didn't like them at all...couldn't stand the tension (WAY too tight), the B string was the worst I've ever heard (keep in mind I only tried one set...could've been a bad B) and yeah....the stickieness of all of the strings prevented me from finger picking as fast as I'm used to. Now...Chromes on the other hand....mmm....mmm...good!

12. RSalvador

RSalvador Lakland 44-94 - Markbass LMT 800 - Schroeder 1212L

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    I wanted to try Chromes because I love the feel of flat wounds, but I was afraid they would not be bright enough or too boomy and undefined.

How do you think they compare as far as that goes?

13. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well...To be honest my experience with 1/2 rounds was a long time ago...keep that in mind. I don't remember them being any brighter than the Chromes and the Chromes were MUCH more comfortable to the fingers (both fretting and picking). Theoretically the Chromes should be "duller" sounding than the 1/2 rounds since they are a true flat wound but I really remember the 1/2 rounds as being very dull after a week or two. The Chromes do dull after a few weeks but they don't sound dull or lifeless. For a flatwound, Chromes smash through mix (like a hammer) but they also growl at the same time (at least I can get them to growl nicely when I play by the bridge pickup which is most of the time). I used to just "flirt" with flatwounds from time to time but Chromes have caused me to commit. ;)
    -Bazz-

14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yes
    Thank you for sharing your experience. It is useful.
    I am not a high tension kind of guy and I do like a smooth feel - not grabby, I dislike that.

But I could get used to them. I was expecting high tension. I didn't expect them to be grabby. I would think they are the opposite!

15. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Groundwound & Chrome users:

If I'm using Prosteels right now (round wound) .105-.45 w/a tapered .130 on my fretless which have pretty good tension, should I go w/a smaller guage .100-.40 set w/a .125-.128 B in the 1/2 flats & Chromes to match the tension better?

Sorry for the On Topic hijack but want to buy correct strings & guage the first time. ; )

16. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The smallest Chrome B is a 132. Unless you buy an individual string for the B which I've done before. I'd suggest using their standard 5 string set up 45,65,80,100,132. It feels balanced and not too terribly tight.
    -Bazz-