Daddario half rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HassBacker, May 6, 2002.

1. I just put a 5-string set of these things on my bass and am wondering if others have the same opinion of these that I do, which is being unimpressed with the sound of the B and the overall tone balance of the entire set. I went from Daddario XL-170 rounds looking for a little less top end and less finger noise. I got that for the most part, but the B string has no presence at all compared to rest of the set. I still want a little top end to define the attack of the string and am not getting it. The A also seems to be brighter than the rest of the set. I guess what I want to know is if the set will age and even out it's sound or should I look elsewhere? These things were pretty pricey ($55 Cdn) special ordered.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've only used the four-stringers, and I thought they were cool. However, reading your comments, I probably won't try the five stringers. Did you get the taperwound B? I think that's what they're shipping with now.
  3. The set has the taperwound B. Initially, I evaluated the sound direct out of my mixer using phones, which really lets me hear the harmonics. The E through G sounded like full rounds with less bite. The B had a LOT less bite, the ratio of thud to bite was too high. Last night at practice was a little different, they seemed to sit in the mix ok( using a 2-15 cab). I am going to give them a little while longer to break in and maybe the top strings will begin to sound more like the B. I need to hear them through my 4-10. However, at this point I would not record with this set. Cheers
  4. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I've never used the 5-string set, but I use them on my Dano Longhorn and my '65 P-bass. They have been a good match for those instruments.

I don't know if I've ever encountered a successful flatwound type (i.e. flats, ground wound, half round,etc.) B-string. There are some physics/engineering issues with a thick flatwound string.

I don't particularly like taper wound strings either. There are some intonation concerns with these.

One of my 5-strings would be a great match for these strings, except again, I've not run into a good B-string.
  5. After giving these strings another good trial on Sunday, the old rounds went back on. I just could not deal with the sound of the B. Going by the sound of the rest of the set, the 4-string set would be OK. The taperwound B is a lifeless POC compared to the rest. Maybe if I whine long enough I can bet my money back......not likely.
  6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I strung my Yamaha 5 with those when I still had it, otherwise the sound was good but I had problems with the B-string too. It sounded sort of dead right out of the pack. Currently my K5 is strung with D'Addario Slo-wounds, they're much better.

Next on the list: Rotosound flats.
  7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Glad I saw this thread...I was about to try these out on my Spector 5 stringers!
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I had a similar experience with these. In an attempt to find a less costly alternative to T-I Jazz Flats, I tried a 6 string D'Addario halfround set on my fretless ABG. The top 5 strings were pretty decent, but the low B was truly awful. Just unusable. Somewhere on this forum I saw somebody say that when he ordered a single halfround low B separately, it was pretty good, but the one packaged with the set was terrible. I don't know if that's a common experience.
  9. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've tried these as well on my 5. The B was the worst B I've ever used. This really surprised me because their Slow Wound 5 set is pretty good(good tight B).
  10. Dynastes

Jun 22, 2002
    On my fretless 5-string Warrior the B sounds just as good/bad as the other's not wound different than the other strings and was bought a month ago. I got the superlong super soft set, however they're are pretty tight which isn't great for slapping, still they sound nice in my oppinion including the B string!