Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daddario half rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HassBacker, May 6, 2002.

1. I just put a 5-string set of these things on my bass and am wondering if others have the same opinion of these that I do, which is being unimpressed with the sound of the B and the overall tone balance of the entire set. I went from Daddario XL-170 rounds looking for a little less top end and less finger noise. I got that for the most part, but the B string has no presence at all compared to rest of the set. I still want a little top end to define the attack of the string and am not getting it. The A also seems to be brighter than the rest of the set. I guess what I want to know is if the set will age and even out it's sound or should I look elsewhere? These things were pretty pricey ($55 Cdn) special ordered.
    Cheers.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've only used the four-stringers, and I thought they were cool. However, reading your comments, I probably won't try the five stringers. Did you get the taperwound B? I think that's what they're shipping with now.

3. The set has the taperwound B. Initially, I evaluated the sound direct out of my mixer using phones, which really lets me hear the harmonics. The E through G sounded like full rounds with less bite. The B had a LOT less bite, the ratio of thud to bite was too high. Last night at practice was a little different, they seemed to sit in the mix ok( using a 2-15 cab). I am going to give them a little while longer to break in and maybe the top strings will begin to sound more like the B. I need to hear them through my 4-10. However, at this point I would not record with this set. Cheers

4. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I've never used the 5-string set, but I use them on my Dano Longhorn and my '65 P-bass. They have been a good match for those instruments.

I don't know if I've ever encountered a successful flatwound type (i.e. flats, ground wound, half round,etc.) B-string. There are some physics/engineering issues with a thick flatwound string.

I don't particularly like taper wound strings either. There are some intonation concerns with these.

One of my 5-strings would be a great match for these strings, except again, I've not run into a good B-string.

5. After giving these strings another good trial on Sunday, the old rounds went back on. I just could not deal with the sound of the B. Going by the sound of the rest of the set, the 4-string set would be OK. The taperwound B is a lifeless POC compared to the rest. Maybe if I whine long enough I can bet my money back......not likely.
    Cheers

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I strung my Yamaha 5 with those when I still had it, otherwise the sound was good but I had problems with the B-string too. It sounded sort of dead right out of the pack. Currently my K5 is strung with D'Addario Slo-wounds, they're much better.

Next on the list: Rotosound flats.

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Glad I saw this thread...I was about to try these out on my Spector 5 stringers!

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I had a similar experience with these. In an attempt to find a less costly alternative to T-I Jazz Flats, I tried a 6 string D'Addario halfround set on my fretless ABG. The top 5 strings were pretty decent, but the low B was truly awful. Just unusable. Somewhere on this forum I saw somebody say that when he ordered a single halfround low B separately, it was pretty good, but the one packaged with the set was terrible. I don't know if that's a common experience.

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've tried these as well on my 5. The B was the worst B I've ever used. This really surprised me because their Slow Wound 5 set is pretty good(good tight B).
    bazz

10. Dynastes

Dynastes

Jun 22, 2002
    Denmark
    On my fretless 5-string Warrior the B sounds just as good/bad as the other strings...it's not wound different than the other strings and was bought a month ago. I got the superlong super soft set, however they're are pretty tight which isn't great for slapping, still they sound nice in my oppinion including the B string!