1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'addario Half Rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Huge, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me.

Dec 2, 2005
    Edmonton
    I just put them on my L-2500 and I'm really quite happy with them. They have some tackiness that I had expected to interfere with my fretting hand, but have found that they mess with my plucking hand more. I've only played for about half an hour with them, but I can feel the tackiness subsiding already (or I've adapted :D).

Up to this point I've only had the D'addario Nickel Rounds on my bass. The half rounds are far less trebly, and seem to have more sustain. It seems to make the active setting on my bass a bit more manageable as well. I'm really happy with my basses new sound.

2. No doubt man, I also switched from nickle XL's to halfies, feel and actually sound a lil better after a month or two. I hear more fundamental output too, like the bass is stronger. Only prob now is I'm gassing for T.I. flats, feeling they will be even more of a good thing.

3. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Just put the Half rounds on my Squier VM P5. Didn't care for the factory rounds: mids were honky, and too trebley w/too much harmonics. Can you tell I don't like rounds much? LOL. Anyway I was looking for something in between my GHS Precision flats, which I love but are virtually all about the fundamental, and my GHS pressure wounds, which are great on my J, but just a tad zingy for what I was looking for on this bass. These nailed it! Smoother feel, with somewhat less harmonics than the PW's, but more complex than the flats. A little sticky at first, but that seems to be going away (have only about 45 minutes on them so far). A little early for the unreserved 2 thumbs up, but REALLY liking them so far! About $26 for the 5 string set, which is in the same ballpark as the GHS's. I may just have new favorite strings!

4. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I'm a fan of D'Addario half rounds, too.

Joedog likes this.
  5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Currently using D'A Half Rounds on my fretless: ENR71 (4 string set) + NHR130T (low B0 tapered string) + NHR030 (high C3 string). Funny these Half Round strings feel stickier than my other bass with D'A Chromes. Many other threads have mentioned that I need to clean them with some kind of chemical liquid.

6. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    The sound isnt bad on my P, but I can't get over that weird tacky feeling.

7. Wipe 'em down with rubbing alcohol. I use that on all my strings to keep 'em clean. Never ever ever had a problem using the stuff.

All my white rags come out with black streaks on them when I use it.....so I know the dirts coming off.....

Should take the sticky off no problem.

8. I've been using them on my Ric for many, many years. They really compliment the Ric sound and sustain.

9. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

Oct 11, 2012
    Katy TX
    That's what I use with my jazz bass with an active preamp.