1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario Half-Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by deadhead, Apr 21, 2009.

1. I just got D'Addario Half-Wounds on my Fender Jazz with vintage pickups. I have been going between Flats and Round wounds for a while now and just wanted to find a medium between the two sounds. I love the old school meaty lows you can get from Flats but still like the brightness from the Round wounds. So far I really like them, they're really growly. One thing is that it is really difficult to slide up and down these strings. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone else have any experience with this strings and can offer up any of their opinions about these strings specifically or Half-Wounds in general? (because they're all kind of new to me)

2. some love these strings others hate them. not much help hey? :D my experience with them was that they felt sticky even after hours of playing and giving them a good chance to break in. my favourite similar string is the GHS Pressurewound string. a different string process, but a nice mix between roundwounds and flats, imho.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    My Dean Markleys were the exact same way. Something about the gaps in most groundwounds/half rounds make them far "stickier" on the fingers than either flats OR rounds. You are correct about the sound though. It's a great combination of the two.

4. i used them i'm my fretless because i wanted some brightness without chewing up the neck. i like the way they sound. they almost sound like a set of old dead rounds. i do find them sticky, but i haven't used flats on this bass yet so i can't compare.
    i've been thinking of buying a telcom powder ball (like pitchers or rock climbers used)
    that should keep the stickiness off!

5. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    that's normal. it will get a little better after a long time (many many hours of playing), but not much. you should get used to it pretty quick though.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    My preference by far is S.I.T. Silencers. Stay slick feeling... not abrasive at all... and warm up very nice to somewhere between a roundwound with a touch of Flatwound thump.

IMHO

7. They feel sticky to me, kind of like a roughly machined surface. I'm ready to switch to Elixirs, but have some expensive car repairs to pay for first.

9. I just went back to Elixirs and stashed away the Half-rounds for later. Couldn't quite get used to them, but they did have a nice tone. The Elixirs are MUCH brighter and have a nice growl with my Jazz.