1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'Addario HalfRound 'Fluffy' B-String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ArtechnikA, Dec 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    My first set of half-rounds so I can't tell if I've just got a bad string or 'they're all like that.'
    The B has almost no harmonic content. Nice thump, but no mids.
    I've had lots of different sets from a few manufacturers and this is the first that's acted like this.
    I know it's not the bass - it's the string.
    If they're all like that, I'll learn to live with it even though I don't like it, because for the most part, the sound works with what I'm going for.
    Probably I'll just order up a replacement single from BSO, but was looking for others who have BTDT.

2. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I have experienced something similar with the E string on a set of GHS Brite Flats (also half-round). I've read similar reports from others. I suspect it has something to do with half-round construction, and there may not be anything "wrong" per se with that particular string. I found though, that in the mix with other instruments, it doesn't come across that noticeable.

3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    UPDATE: Bought a new set of halfrounds (hate not having a spare set...) and a 0.130" single from BSO.
    Put on the single tonight and Bingo! Back to normal.
    Dead string. It happens, I guess...