D'Addario halfround strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by buckethdd, Oct 30, 2002.

1. buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    I really like these strings for fretted or fretless basses, except that the B string (.130) that comes in the 5 string set seems really dead and dull...I contacted D'Addario and they sent me a single B string, as well as a new full 5 string set. Well, I put the single B on and it was nice...obviously not as bright as a roundwound, but bright and lively enough for me, and slappable. Then i put the new 5 string set on out of the package, and that B sucked. Now, D'Addario had actually sent me two single B strings because the first one took awhile to get here. I put the second one on, and again, bright and nice. It seems that the B's that come by themselves are made differently in some way from the B's that come in the 5 string set. The conclusion for me is to buy a 4 string set and the B seperately, which is a bit more expensive. I haven't contacted D'Addario yet, but I will. Anyone else notice this or have any other info?
  2. I bought a set to try and for me they were a disappointment on two fronts. One was the price I had to pay for them at L&M as they were a special order, $55 Cdn, which is about twice what I pay for the XL's I would normally use. Not anymore though, took a bit of a hosing on them and I am still a little bitter about it. Whether it was Daddario or L&M doesn't matter as they're both out of my loop now.The other was as you describe it, the B being a totally flat sounding POC compared to the rest of the set, no overtones at all. Too bad, they felt nice to play and the rest of the set actually sounded pretty good. The QC on these strings seems questionable, as an XL B string is a pretty good sounding string. Maybe I'll send them back and ask for a set of XL's....yeah right.
    edit: had to get the price right
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There was another thread a while back about this problem. Apparently it's not fixed yet. Too bad, because the four-string set is pretty cool.
  4. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA

That's curious. I use the DAD half-rounds on both of my 5-strings, a Carvin LB75P and an Ibanez EDB and haven't had this problem with either set. I usually get mine from juststrings.com.

I'll have to watch out for that.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Odd. I had an experience somewhat similar to yours. I bought a 6-string Half Round set for use on my Shuker fretless ABG, hoping to find a more economical alternative to T-I Jazz flats. I liked most of the strings pretty well--but the low B was indeed awful IMO. Little volume and less tone. I just couldn't bear to play them.
  6. buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    most people seem to have the same feeling about the B string, although no one has commented on whether or not they have experienced a B as a single string as opposed to in a set. Out of three 5 string sets and two single B's, the ones in the set were consistently bad, and the singles were much better. seems strange.