1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario Helicore Pizz

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jacochops, Aug 23, 2012.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I have been a dyed-in-the-wool Spiro guy for years....tried the Blues, Obligato...good strings, but nothing, in my New-England-bred-tiny mind, equalled Spiros. Then....just today, I got a brand-spankin' new bass while here in China. A handmade, solid maple back and ribs, Canadian spruce top bass. A flipping CANNON of a jazz bass, with sustain and growl FOR DAYS!! Had Helicore hybrids on it...an ok string, but kind of dead-sounding. I put on some Helicore Pizz strings. W-O-W!!!!! KILLING! I had NO idea how growly and big these strings sound! Anyone else here playing these strings, and like/love them? I am bowled over about how good these sound on my new bass! Perhaps when I get back to the US, I'll revert back to my old ways and try some Spiro Weichs on it, but for now, this Ex-Pat is one very happy camper!!
    Thoughts?

2. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I have them and like them, a lot. They're not bad with the bow either.

3. I have a set of Helicore Pizz Lights on my Kay. It's a decent jazz bass. The only string I've ever broken was a Helicore, but YMMV.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    In some ways, they're a little too growly. Good string if you could make it work as they're real easy to bow. Not my kind sound tho.

5. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I have the medium-tension Helicores. Really, they feel a lot like weich Spiros, but with more growl and aggression. A GREAT string, and the price is right, as well! With my Underwood through an EA Doubler? The tone is AMAZING! I've had ok experiences with an Underwood, but with this bass and strings, it just works! Very happy...

6. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Hey hdiddy...I actually dig the heavy growl factor. I'm definitely not a gut string kind of guy...these strings seem to be my current "Holy Grail" on my new bass.

7. Lenbytown

Lenbytown

Feb 22, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I just ordered a set of Helicore Pizzicato Lights to replace my Evahs based on feedback from you and other posters. I'm anxious to hear them as, like you, I'm looking for a nice growl which I'm not getting right now.

8. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I think you'll be happy..enjoy the growl!!!!

9. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Since the windings are pure nickel, don't be surprised if your fingertips turn black.

10. dkziemann

dkziemann

Dec 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Endorsed by D'Addario
    Two words:

Love them.

11. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    They sound great and the price is right. However, in the 3 years I was using the Medium Helicore Pizz strings, I had three D strings and 2 A strings break on me and I am not a "hard" player by any stretch.

I went back to Spiro Mittles, and while the extra cash isn't fun to shell out, I feel like the Spiros are a far better string in terms of quality. Sonically, I think they're pretty even.