Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

d'addario hybrids or spiro's

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by B String, Nov 24, 2003.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Which might have more sustain with a
    softer feel? Medium D'addario hybrids
    or 4/4 length regular spirocores?
    Its for a 60 year old german 3/4 carved
    and a new Wilfer.

2. I suspect the hybrids would have a softer feel and the spiros more sustain.

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I remember the "Hybrids" to have huge sustain. I don't understand why you'd want to put 4/4 strings on a 3/4.

4. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm told that a longer string has
    less tension. soooo.... A 4/4 length
    string has less tension then a 3/4
    length tuned to the same pitch.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  6. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Actually, I'm looking for a little
    more string under my fingers. I just
    don't want more tension. Weichs tend
    to be a bit skinny for me both in feel
    and sound.

7. BString

I think that what was meant was...that longer strings (meaning a longer vibrating length, such as you would get on a 4/4 bass) tuned to the same pitch would have less tension.

When you take those longer strings and put them on a 3/4 bass with it's shorter vibrating string length, and tune them to the same pitch, you might end up with no difference at all...or worse, you could end up with even more tension.

8. I don't know about the length thing, but I'd go with spiros over helicores anyday, for any playing. The weichs feel nice, and bow a little easier I think that the orchestras, but the weich E is kinda wimpy IMO. Might want to mix and match a heavier E.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A string will produce a certain pitch at a certain speaking length, given the correct tension.

If you SHORTEN the speaking length (4/4 to 3/4) it will demand LESS tension to create a given pitch.

Imagine you had a 4/4 bass with an E string tuned to pitch. You could simulate (sort of) the string's tension on a 3/4 scale by playing a stopped note 1.5-2" from the nut. In order to make this pitch be an E, you would have to de-tune the string. Therefore, less tension.

So, his idea of using 4/4s to give string thickness but less tension is correct. The only issue is that it simply means a given set of strings designed for a 4/4 bass will have less tension if used on a 3/4. (Although not much, as you are only talking about a 3-5 percent shortening of the scale and scale lengths aren't etched in stone) This doesn't mean they'll necessarily have less tension than a 3/4 set used in it's correct application.

Having rambled, I would try a set of Weichs with a Mittel E string.

10. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Don't like weich's. Too thin feel and
    sound. Thomastik rep insists that spiro's
    in the full size on a 3/4 bass have less
    tension. A bit hard to order, but i'm
    searching. Any other strings with sustain
    punch, full sound and not too stiff?

11. If the weichs are too light for you but you like the string, why not step up to the orchestra gauge? (I think that's the next step up anyway.)

12. Do Spiros come in a solo set? Many players like to tune solo sets, which are meant to be tuned F#-B-E-A, to regular orchestra tuning. This, I think, would give you the reduced tension you're looking for.

13. YES.