D'Addario Kaplan Light Gauge vs. EP Weichs-Anyone?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BHBassman, Jun 23, 2016.

1. BHBassman

BHBassman

Jan 5, 2013
    USA
    Greetings.
    I have Kaplan Heavy Gauge strings on my 7/8 Bass used mostly for orchestra & shows .
    Love these -great sound & feel, esp. Arco, & Pizz is also strong with these strings.
    Have EP Weichs (Also great strings!) on another bass for over 2 years.
    Play mostly Jazz gigs with this Bass.
    The EP Weichs still sound great, but seem to have lost a bit of sound, sustain, etc.
    Also love the EP regular gauge, but would like to have a bit less resistance, esp. when soloing.
    Happen to have a new set of D'Addario Kaplan light gauge & curious if anyone has had experiences with them.
    Thanks.

2. Mr Ralph

Mr Ralph Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Hinckley Ohio
    I have used them on my Kay. This is my take for what it is worth.
    G string was only on a few days. It got lost and was dull Pizz but bowed nicely. I replaced it with a Kaplan Medium and am happy.
    The D bows beautiful and pizz is good nice thump not a lot of growl or sustain though.
    E and A bowed very nicely nice warm rich tone. Pizz nice thump but no growl or sustain since I play mostly Pizz I took them off because they did not have enough color or character for me.
    I actually have a Zyex light on the A and Spiro weich on the E.

I too could not play The Evah Medium for long periods of time but on the G string it was a toss up between Evah Medium G and Kaplan Medium G. I went with the Kaplan as I liked the Arco sound better.
    All this is based on the usual disclaimer "on my bass with my limited skills".

Sorry never tried Evah Weich

geoffbassist likes this.
  3. BHBassman

BHBassman

Jan 5, 2013
    USA
    Thanks Mr Ralph.
    I've tried the mediums. Love the heavy.
    Have Zyex med. on my 1940 Kay-great choice.( finally losing that twang!)
    Considering the lights & changing strings from the older EPs.
    Wasn't very happy last night on a trio gig. (could have been the huge carpeted room?!). Used a GK
    Will find out tonight with a different trio & a noisy, very live room.
    Will use a CODA.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022