1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

D'Addario nickel round compare to Rotosound 66 nickel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by saidm, Dec 19, 2016.

1. saidm

saidm

Nov 2, 2016
    Hi,
    Currently I'm using D'Addario nickel round 45-100. I like the feel and tension.
    Last week I tried the Rotosound 66 stainless steel round 40-100. My finger can't handle it roughness and tension.
    How is the tension and feel of the Rotosound 66 nickel 40-100 compare to D'Addario nickel 45-100?
    I really like the sound from Rotosound66.
    Any experienced members here please give some suggestions.
    Thanks

2. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    I would say if you really like the sound your fingers will eventually come around the more you play.

jallenbass and Mystic Michael like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Tension/feel wise Roto Nickels are similar to D'Addario XL's, maybe a little smoother feeling. But soundwise they are nothing like Roto Steels. They sound more like XL's but more mellow.

trothwell likes this.
  4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Been the same situation when changing from XL Nickels 45-65-80-100-130, to Swing 66 Stainless Steels 45-65-80-105-130. The higher tension and roughness are mostly felt on the higher strings, especially when popped. I settled down on 35-55-80-105-130.

But because Swing 66 SS strings are famous for their short life, about a couple months after mine have already been taken off.

5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    If what you like about Swing 66 SS is the bright sound that they initially have then you are right. I'm not a fan of the initial brightness but love the midrange that they are famous for when they darken up after a few months. That lasts a long time.

trothwell likes this.
  6. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Yes, I use SS cause it's brightness. I have other strings on other basses to carry out darker sound.

7. saidm

saidm

Nov 2, 2016
    Ok, I will give it another try to roto66 ss. Im going to install it back this weekend and setup my bass. Try it for another week or two how it goes.

8. sambass0124

sambass0124

Mar 2, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Tension:
    Roto 66 SS >= Roto 66 nickel > XL

Smooth feel:
    XL = Roto 66 nickel >> Roto 66 SS

Treble:
    Roto 66 SS > Roto 66 nickel > XL

Bottom:
    Roto 66 SS >= Roto 66 nickel > XL

I've got a similar situation as you - used to use XL, but want a brighter sound, but dislikes the feel of Roto 66 SS. I like Roto 66 nickel, but I want to have less tension strings.

So I decided to try Lo-rider. Less tension than Roto 66 but brighter than XL. Problem is - it's expensive. I've just put it on my bass for less than a month. The feel is very smooth but not bright as Roto 66 SS. The top is more "polite" and less harsh.

9. saidm

saidm

Nov 2, 2016
    Used back my roto66 ss and basic setup today. Feel like my fingers is fighting with the string and I tried not to care about the tension and feel. Will play with it for a week or two.
    I'm going to order roto66 nickel to have a try.

@sambass0124 so you back with roto66 ss?

10. sambass0124

sambass0124

Mar 2, 2013
    Hong Kong
    No, still trying Nickel Lo rider. I like the warmth from nickel strings so I won't go back to SS for now.

11. saidm

saidm

Nov 2, 2016
    After using back my roto66 ss a week. My fingers can take the tension. But I feel more comfortable with my D'Addario nickel.
    Back with D'Addario XL for now.

12. I used d'addario xl for many years before switching to rotosound nickel.
    I didn't notice a Real change in feel or tension. But tonewise I find the rotosound to be clearer in a mix : more definition and less high trebles.
    And even when old they still sound very good in the mix.

13. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I just put the Rotos on my new to me BTB 5 string. I don't much like em, they are some rough strings. Gonna take em right back off soon, just not for me.

14. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Have you thought about trying the D'Addario Pro Steels?

15. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Pro steels are little less softer in tension than Rotosound. Consistent tension but not hight like Trace Elliot

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021