1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'addario Nickel Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ynie92992, Mar 4, 2008.

1. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    Who likes these?

2. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i just put a set on my jazz. they sound and feel awesome.

3. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    They are pure awesomeness

4. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Eh, they are just ok. Kinda bright for me. For the most part they are a very neutral string though. And yes, they can be completely awesome but IME not on an ash bodied bass.

5. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

I love them but i find the E string lacking

6. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I use the exl 180S (35-95) ON MY JAZZ. I've tried rotosounds, D Addario Pro Steels, DR black beauties and GHS brite flats all in different guages and the exl 180s work best for me.

7. i have almost settled for these strings they sound good and are not as harsh as SS
    btw victor wooten also uses these strings!

8. I'm not a pro player, but I get two weeks out of them before they limp out. So I cant afford the cheap strings.

DR Sunbeams or, if you prefer some tension, DR Nickle Low Riders.

Did like the sound of the DeAdds, but they give it up too quick. Hooked on nickle Lo's now. Prefer their tension on a 4 string. Might string the new 35" Lakkie in SunBeams though.

Try the D'Adds and see. They're some of the least expensive out there. Sound nice.

9. Frag

Frag

Mar 4, 2008
    West Wales
    I use Ernie Ball flat wound Super Slinky's

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I like the XL nickels a lot. For nickel plated roundwounds I also use GHS Boomers, LaBella Slappers, and Ernie Ball Slinkys. IMO all of them have slight differences in sound, but IMO they all sound good. I haven't noticed that any one of these brands keeps their zing any longer than the others.

11. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I use them as well. I have tried many different brands and I agree that I haven't really seen much of a difference in life expectancy of any of the makers of strings. I try to keep them as clean as I can and I wipe them down with cotton balls and alcohol once a week.
    For me, they work well on my Jazz. I play often and they hold up as well as the other brands. Plus, I can't complain about the 2-pack set price when I purchase them.
    It's all about personal preference anyway. I've been to blues clubs where I've seen basses that had strings so old they were moldy. However, if you even dare to mention string changing to some of these players, they'd hang you!!!

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Sadowsky Nickels outlast DR's for me. ;)

13. Ah, three months is good enough. Beats a few weeks with A'addarios.

14. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    I picked up a set last week and have rather liked the tone thus far. I will be rather disappointed if I only get two good weeks out of them, however. I know if I want them really bright, I have to change them often, but I was hoping for a two or three month life cycle.

15. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    I've been using them for 20+ years. Their price is reasonable, they last a while, and they age gracefully (not going from too bright to muted flatwound sound quickly). Thet are also easy on the frets (former rotosound user)

16. Noobs

Noobs

Feb 11, 2008
    I will never go back to using the nickel Daddario's/ Got sick of the Estring going dead after minimal playing time. I dont know, I loved the feel but had trouble with the last 4 E strings I bought. I'm done with them for good! I use Rotos 66 swing Bass steel now and absolutely love them. IMO better sound, better everything. However I will say alot of people like them. Just not the strings for me

17. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have two data points that agree with that statement and none that disagree. In one case Superalloys gave my what I was expecting to get from XLs on an ash G&L.

18. Pikasoll

Pikasoll

Nov 23, 2007
    Norway
    Love them, but will try other brands to find the sound I want.

19. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    XL 165's for me....