D'addario NYXL string issues???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Darren02, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Darren02

Darren02 Never stop the groove in order to find a note

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Im not sure if this has been posted before and if it has im truly sorry bahaha. I havent seen it anywhere though, and so i was wondering... have any of you guys also been having issues with D'addario NYXL strings showing up with 60-90° bends in the string? Im not sure if this is just me, but its been quite the issue recently. I had 5 sets all show up with Bent E strings. I decided not to do anything for the first two sets, then i bought 3 together and ALL showed up with bent E strings!!!! Ive been curious as to whether ive maybe had some bad luck or if its an actual problem that affects others and not just me. Ive since made the switch to Sadowsky Black Label Nickel strings but my friend seems to be having this problem too.
    On another note, it never seemed to be a problem for me with single strings....

Maiden Bass likes this.
  2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Been using these strings for about a year now.
    Have purchased 4 6-string sets and 4 4-string sets from bassstringsonline.com.
    Sets were assembled through individual strings by me.
    No such issues.

The only weird anomaly was several (not all) of the D strings had a black ball end rather than the usual gold that's almost always on all individual D'Addarios.

FWIW, I had previously used (pre packaged) XL sets for decades.
    No issues there ever. Not even one bad string.

Darren02 likes this.
  3. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Darren is exactly correct!
    I have just recently had multiple sets that had severe bends in the strings immediately out of the pack!

I have played with them too, but the bends cause intonation problems AND you can actually feel the bend in the string after its tuned to pitch!

These strings are very expensive and should not be arriving this way.

I do have to say though after contacting Don Dawson at Daddario he immediately took care of me and is sending me replacement E and B strings.

I have not had any bends in A, D or G strings!

DAddario has excellent customer service, but I just don't have the time and patience to keep waiting on replacement strings, so unfortunately I'll probably be changing to different strings now.

I had been using NYXLs on my new Zon basses and absolutely love them, but until they get the bend problem solved I am going to use some different strings.

Maybe Don can chime in at some point with updates.

Also please note - the strings with bends were purchased from different retailers and so it has to be a factory issue.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Darren02 likes this.
  4. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007

I had used Pro Steels for years with no issues like this at all!

Maybe it has something to do with the more flexible core on the NYXLs?

Darren02 likes this.
  5. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    Having used D'Addario bass strings a lot over the years (Flexsteels, Prosteels, NYXL, and XL) I have not noticed any bends as severe as you have out of the pack BUT I will say that D'Addario seems to coil their strings much tighter than just about any other manufacturer which has resulted in some bends on some of the sets. Nothing that affected intonation or didn't straighten out once tuned to pitch but they could probably stand to have looser coils. I have notice it the most on NYXL and Prosteels B strings and to a lesser degree on the E strings.

bassclef04, Darren02 and Maiden Bass like this.
  6. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Yes, and very different from companies like Kalium who only send out their strings very loosely coiled.
    The looser the coil the better the string lasts supposedly.

Darren02 likes this.
  7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'm sure its an isolated batch, temporary production issue.
    D'Addario will, if contacted, almost always take care of you and certainly look into why this happened. This is not at all the norm with any of their string sets.

Arthur U. Poon and Darren02 like this.
  8. Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    They most definetly have taken care of me for sure. The NYXLs ended up being too loose of tension for me so i switched, however it was quite interesting how this was happening. Maybe one day if i decide to go back everything will be normal again, but like Maiden Bass said, i also dont have the time and patience to wait on replacement strings. So for now, if i ever need d'addario strings ill just stick with the regular XLs or maybe Prosteels. But youre likely right, it probably is an isolated batch.

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'll second that. I've never tried their NYXL's, but I've bought countless sets of XL's and Half Rounds over four decades. And over all those years I've had just a few dead strings fresh out of the pack. I contacted D'Addario via a phone call, and they quickly sent me replacement strings, and they even asked me to send an entire set back to them, which they replaced, so they could pinpoint their production date and time. They gave me the impression that they're very committed to quality and their users. Great bunch of folks at D'Addario IMO.

eff-clef likes this.
  10. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    I second this. Nothing but praise for D'Addario from me. Whether or not you like the strings, the company is very passionate about what they do, provide excellent customer service, and give back to the community.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  11. Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    They most definetly do have excellent customer service. I absolutely love daddario don't get me wrong, however I was just curious as to maybe someone else had the same experience as I :)

Maiden Bass likes this.
  12. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Anyone want to try some FREE (almost) NYXLs?
    :cool:

So I contacted DAddario when I received the bent strings and they actually sent me a whole bunch of E (105's) and B (tapered 130's) single strings and I don't need all of these. These strings are brand new and unused NYXLs and if anyone is interested in trying out some E and B NYXL strings you can have them for free, but I would prefer if you could PayPal me maybe $2 or $3 to cover the postage.

I think I have 4 extra now of both E's and B's so the first 4 people who PM me can have them.

And BTW none of the replacement strings I received directly from DAddadio had any bends whatsoever so they probably fixed the problem.

For someone who's interested in trying out NYXLs and doesn't want to shell out cash for a set, here you go!
    :bassist:

13. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Someone just asked for the B strings, so those are gone.
    E strings are still available so if anyone wants them PM me.

14. Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Ill take Es

Maiden Bass likes this.
  15. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    E's are gone now too.

Darren02 likes this.
  16. So glad I stumbled across this, now I know it's not just me! When I have a good full set of NYXL's they sound amazing, but I've been having real problems with bum 125T and 100T strings. Sometimes I have to burn 3 packs to build 1 good set. I hope they get this figured out :rollno:

tindrum likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021