1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

D'Addario NYXL strings vs Ernie Ball Cobalts?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I've used the Cobalt's before & loved them. I was wondering how the D'Addario NYXL's feel/sound/play in comparison :)

2. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    In my opinion, I would say the following:
    • The Cobalts are more aggressive sounding
    • The NYXLs feel smoother, Or Cobalts feel rougher
    • Cobalts feel stiffer, assuming the same gauge
    I prefer the tone of Cobalts, but I tend to prefer EB over D’Addario anyways. Both are great companies - whichever you choose will give you a quality product.

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I didn’t care for the sound of NYXLs at all. To me they lacked character. Nice strings. And loud. But kinda “meh” sounding to my ears. YMMV.

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  4. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Bump, same question but i haven't tried either sting. I'm a long time Dunlop user and looking to try something different. I just installed a set of super brights (i usually use the regular dunlops)on my Wal and i did not care for them. looking for something that has the same high and midrange characteristics as the dunlops but maybe a tad more lows.

5. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I go back and forth between Super Bright Nickels and Cobalt Rounds (both 5-string sets). The SBs have more high mids. I usually like this but sometimes they are a little much even for me. The SBs are also very focused, which is nice. The Cobalts sound brighter but less harsh (more highs, less high mids I think). At least when they are new, digging in rewards you with a little explosion of jangly harmonics, reminds me of a Chris Squire tone. Good strong low mids and lows. Better B string than the SBs.

6. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I switched to cobalts and I love em!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021