Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'Addario Phosphor Bronze EXP's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassman314, Jun 1, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    After several attempts to search here and not finding anything, I decided to bite the bullet, and get them for my Michael Kelly AEB.

I decided to switch away from normal Phosphor bronze strings for a coupel of reasons. My fingers kept sticking to them, as they got older, which made it difficult to do light stuff. I'd get almost a "pop" as the strings pulled away from my fingers, especially on the D and G string. I found that they went dead quickly. I don't mean bright vs dead.. I mean dead dead dead... Boiling gave me about 2-3 gigs of good tone... Then dead...

I thought about sticking La Bella's on there, but the string gauges are so different, I didn't want to deal with filing the nut, doing saddle height adjustment (on a bone/plastic saddle), and getting the end pin to hold a normal E string was a pain in the butt already.

The coating isn't noticeable on the strings, unlike some of the other brands. The sound is bright, but well-defined. I can't wait for the tone to mellow out a l'il bit so I can get a nice woody thump from the E and A strings.

The coating does help from my fingers sticking to the strings, and as the coating is applied to the outer wrap wire prior to winding, I don't foress an issue with the coating flaking off as badly as other coated strings.

I'll do a f/u on this in a week or so to tell you how things sound at that time. heck.. I'll even see if I can get some sound samples.

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    OK.. they've been on for about a month. Still sound great. Still good intonation and tone!

In that time, I took my AEB to Church camp for a week in SoCal.

I played her almost everyday in hot, dry conditions. My hands and arms were covered in sweat and sunblock. I think I managed to keep the kids from spraying Bug Spray around me when I was playing... I made sure I washed my hands before playing, however waterproof SPF45 is just that... waterproof...

Anyway, the coating held up! I haven't noticed any tarnishing on the bronze, and I don't notice any loss of tone!

I had a brand-new set of plain D'Addario's on my Acoustic Guitar (un-coated) and they are almost dead from the sweat and sunblock.

Hopefully, sound samples will follow soon. I still am trying to find a time to record them!