D'Addario pizzicato and hybrid series

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Tom Baldwin, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Hello fellow bassmen and women. This is my first post.

What is the latest in the saga of these strings regarding breakage? I heard that they had resolved the problem, so I decided to try a set of pizzicatos (I normally use Thomastics). Then I heard from another reliable source that they are still breaking. If this is the case, I'm going to send the D'Addarios back.
  2. I have never heard of any problem with strings breaking. I have used the blue end and red end strings for as long as a year. I prefer other strings, but I never had a bad experience with D'Addario.
  3. There were some problems with the Helicore bass string when they first came out in the mid 1990s. That problem was corrected very quickly and I've not heard of any abnormal string breakage since then.
  4. JonB

May 27, 2003
    Pretty much what Don said.
    I used to use the hybrid G and D, and the pizz A and E, both medium. I had probably 5 or 6 sets over 4 years and never had any break.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Never had any breakage with three sets I've used to date.
  6. Well, sorry about the unnecessary new thread, and thanks for responding (all). I don't think these things are going to stay on for very long because the G & D sound drastically different than the E & A - the top two are completely dead, have no projection, sustain, or briteness you would expect from a new string.

I had a set of Hybrids about 5 years ago, and the A broke on me. Also, I heard of a Magazine add for D'Addario with a picture of Christian McBride in which his A string had been replaced with a Spirocore - oops! I think he may have lost his endorsement, or relieved himself of it.
  7. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think that ad is still current. Interesting that I have always felt the g string was dead, but Christian felt the need to change the A- anyone else?
  8. I'm just speculating that maybe his A broke?!
  9. Aren

Jul 18, 2003
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Ive been playing on a set, 2-3 gigs a week for about 2-3 hours per gig plus practice at home whenever I get the chance for about 6 months and mine have held up great - they still sound about as good as they did when they were new. Just out of curiosity, have you had a luthier check out your set-up. The difference in sound from G/D vs. A/E may be a sound post or bridge problem.
  10. Yes, my luthier checked the setup and deemed it to be correct. He was the one who advised me of the inconsistencey of the strings, referring to them as "money-makers" for D'Addario. Aren, do you have the pizz or Hybrids on your bass?
  11. Aren

Jul 18, 2003
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have the pizzicato strings on my bass. I have been thinking about trying the hybrids though. I am, slowly, trying to learn to play with a bow and the pizz strings seem to take a little while to get moving under the bow.
  12. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I would recommend trying other strings. Everyone I know who has tried the hybrid curses their arco response, and puts them as not as good as Spirocores in either pizz or arco (and Spiros aren't exactly known for being great arco strings). The pizz Helicores are comparable too the spiros in pizz.

I'm currently in a love / hate relationship with the Obligatos that came with my bass. I don't like the D & G nearly as much as the Olivs or Eudoxas, but when you get away from the bass they sound good in the room. I have a new set of the reformulated Velvet 180's to try, which I've heard are a vast improvement (I loved the old ones for pizz but found them really scratchy for the arco purpose they were advertised) over the old ones. If they don't work out, I may go to a mixed set of Olivs on the D & G and Obligatos on the E & A for the purpose of keeping the cost down. With the dollar vs. the Euro, strings from Europe are getting hard to afford.

13. My impression of Helicore Hybrids is the opposite of yours. IMO they are better arco than Spiros and I prefer the pizz sound too. Not great arco mind you, but better. What I really like about them is that they do not go false nearly as quickly as the Spiros I formerly used. I've used Hybrids exclusively since 1997. I tried the Helicore pizz stings for a short while, and found the pizz to be too twangy for my taste.
  14. Aren

Jul 18, 2003
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    That is the one aspect of playing this instrument that makes me absolutely crazy- you know what it sounds like from where you are standing while playing but past that good luck (I hope the sound man knows what he is doing- if there is a sound man).

Thanks for the advice.

15. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    That is interesting. I've never had the hybrids myself (I hated the orchestras), but was going on numerous comments on the 2xbasslist about their suitability for arco.

Interesting that you mention the Spiros going false. I used to buy them used because I liked them better after they were at least 6 months old, and their arco was clearly less scratchy.

A few years ago I played the bass I had played in college, and it had a set of Spiros that were at lest 6 years old on it. They sounded better than the Helicore orchs we replaced them with.

16. I wish I had known you when I was using Spiros and playing 6 nights/wk. I was changing G and D strings every 6 weeks because of they would go so false. Maybe they bow better after they go false:D
  17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ray Parker and I had this discussion about a year ago on the board. What we concluded - albeit in a very unscientific manner - is that folks who "secrete" a certain oil (i.e. - whose skin has a certain PH balance), can kill a set of Spiros pretty quickly, whereas dry-skinned folks like myself can play them for years with no ill effects. I've noticed the same thing with plank strings and some of my students in the past.
  18. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    NOBODY has welcomed T-Bal to Talkbass. You guys are sooo rude. So I'll be the first... (shuffling papers, sip of water)

"T-Bal, welcome to Talkbass! It is great to have you. Make sure you read ALL the newbie threads and take notes. There will be a test later. Also, fill out yer damn profile."

19. I dont mean to hijack this thread, but does everybody agree that spiros suck for arco? Because I've played them on several basses, including two of my own and found that they were really not that bad. In fact, on the bass I have now I found when I borrowed a set to try that they bowed better than the helicore orchestras I had. since then I've decided that the helicores are awful, and I'm playing flexocores now, but I'm thinking about going back to the wiechs.
  20. Well, Thanks for that, nicklloydian. BTW, I was fed up with the lack of sound from my Helicores (D&G), so I replaced them with two-year-old Spiros. Big improvement. Now I reckon the E&A are next. Lemur says D'Addario has a satisfaction/money-back guarantee, so I'm going to take them up on their offer. Also, I agree that the spiros bow fine after the initial scratchiness dissipates. Maybe not the tone that a strictly classical player would want, but more than adequate for my purposes.

Now, if I must, I shall fill out my damn profile. Of course, you can find out everything you never wanted to know about me on my webpage, or as a fellow bassist called it, the "Cyber-shrine of self importance".