Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'addario Prism=lame

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CROZ, Sep 5, 2000.

1. I recently tried a set of D' addario prism and they broke at the bridge within a week. I always buy 2 sets of strings at a time and the second pair also broke but within a day. I've tried all kinds of strings, including exposed core strings and never had this problem. Did I get 2 defective sets of strings or do they just really suck?
    Any experiences with these strings?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've used them before, and i wasn't too impressed, but they didn't break on me. i don't like non-exposed core strings, so i didn't like them too much. also, they didn't last as long as the Dean Markley sr2000's that i use.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

John Patitucci uses these and gets a great sound - plus, he must play a huge number of gigs and I've never heard it mentioned that he broke any strings. ;)

Seriously, if I had strings break at the bridge, I would tend to suspect that there is something wrong with the bridge - sharp edges, for example. And while it might seem like the strings, it may be because the other strings you were using were heavier gauge that weren't affected by this - the Prisms are supposed to be very light and bright, so may well be more susceptible, due to the exposed core.

Of course, without seeing the bass and the strings it's almost impossible to diagnose the true cause, but I thought it worth mentioning as an alternative possibility.

4. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Bruce,

Prisms are not exposed core. The B string is taperwound, but all the other strings are conventional.

5. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    They may not be exposed core, however Bruce is right. Something is definetly wrong if you're breaking strings like that. In 16 years of playing I've yet to break a string and I'm a fairly aggressive player. I've used these strings a couple of months back and actually liked them. I prefer brighter sounding strings and they seemed to last for me also.

6. I was using .45-.100s on my J-bass and they were not exposed core strings. The strings I normally use are Ernie Ball Stainless of the same guage. I just thought it was odd that they broke so easily where others- well? I never actually broke strings before. I just replace them after they get dull sounding (a month- 2months) I do pluck close to the bridge, that may have been a factor, but it was an occurence I never had before. They sounded very bright while they lasted. <p>
    Maybe John Patitucci never has a problem with them because he has an endorsement and can play with new strings everyday.
    <p>These were a pretty expensive string set, though. About 20 bucks a set, you would expect a little more for an extra 5 bucks a set. I don't even want to think how expensive it would be to keep new strings on a 7-string.(i.e.,John Turner)

7. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I just bought my first set of prisms, they work great I love them. And they haven't broke YET. but i have broke strings before i think 2 or 3, but that was because i think they had been in the store for like 10 years or something before i put them on my bass, and the guy replaced them for free.

-ChronicPain