Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'Addario Prisms vs DR Hi-beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Mar 13, 2002.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm going to get new strings for my Sterling soon, since I have some extra $$ to burn, and I'm very anxious to get my "string shopping" done, and find the set of strings that get my tone well...

I like a very bright tone, without too much low end (which I EQ for), so a string defined as "fat low end" wouldn't be within my needs, and would actuall void it, as a note.

Anyway, I currently am using Swing 66's, but am looking to see if I can do better. I've used Lo'Riders before, and liked them. I thought they got a bit too many lows for me, though.

What I'm really asking about is, who's tried Hi-beams vs Prisms, and what were your thoughts on each? What were the differences?

Thanks. :)

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Prisms have more "ping" while the Hi-Beams have a bit more "growl." I prefer the Prisms and use 'em on several different basses.

3. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Ok, I haven't tried prism strings.. however I have tried about 3 sets of DR's now and I can say without thinking twice that I absolutely HATE them. They are twice as expensive as EB's around here and I can barely play when I have DR's on due to the fact that the winds are so loose they grip like sandpaper and cause my fingers to stick to them. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Just my oppinion though :)

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Sounds like you want to get the Prisms.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    While the growl can be good, I think I'll go with the prisms. How long do they usually last?

I'm also curious about the one thing I've heard about the prisms... I've heard they're sticky.

Is this true, or no?

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    On my old Ibanez, they felt very tensile and sticky (and they were light guage), and on the Modulus, they felt fine, though still rough.

Something to know about Prisms...brightest strings on the market that are easily procurable, but they extremely rough, and don't last very long (like Swing 66s). They'll get you about three weeks with much brightness before they sound like cotton. Though, again, if you've been using Swing 66's, you should be used to it.

Personally, I hate prisms. I think they sound terrible. But that's just me. If you want bright and no low end...:confused:...then go for it.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, the prisms may be the best for you...

but i certainly will use hi-beams on my spector till they stop makin' em!! i love the growl, and it does have a very "lite" low end. i didn't even notice any decrease in tension. only the improved sound (compared to GHS boomers). perfect for me, at least.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Angus, I've had luck with Swing 66's so far.
    I've had them on my Sterling for over a month and they're still as bright as ever.

At $20 a set, I can afford it, as of now.

I'm going to order a set of the 45-105 from juststrings.com tomorrow. The "roughness" I'm very used to, from being adapt to all my other stainless strings.

I just want something that's very bright, without an excessive amount of lows (some are ok, they can be EQed out) and that's very punchy. :)

9. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I just put a set of Prisms on my ATK 300. I usually use DR Hibeams.

I don't detect any change in the low end response of the strings, but the Prisms definitely have more "ring" to them. They're super bright. I just put them on, so I can't vouch for their longevity.

That said, I *really* like Hibeams. The growl that others have mentioned is great, and they do last a long time. Even when they're dead, they growl nicely. Plus, boiling them brings them back to life time after time.

So why do I have Prisms on my bass? Well, I got a set for free, so I thought I'd try them.

The Prisms are also stiffer than the DRs. I tend to finger pluck near the bridge, so the increased flexibility of the DRs is not an issue for me. I actually like the flexibility for bending and vibrato.

-Shin