d'addario prisms

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jazzyteen, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Hi all, I just got a simple question to ask...

I searched for threads about this and I did'nt find anything so here we go:

Would d'addario prisms have a nice sound on a fender fretless?

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Just so you know, Prisms were replaced last year with the new ProSteel line. Do a search, and you'll find that most people (myself included) actually prefer the new ProSteels. The best I can describe them are Prisms "tweaked" - a bit more low-mids, a touch more chime on the high-end, and longer lasting to boot.

Coming from a player who uses Prisms/ProSteels on all of his fretted basses, I'd imagine that they would work well if you were a) looking for a "rock" fretless tone (Tony Franklin, for example) with the qualities of steels, and b) have a poly-coated board. Steels would chew through just about any untreated wood I can think of in fairly short order, and even mark up a coated wood pretty quickly. That's why I compromised and go with XL Nickels for my fretless - even with Teak Oil "stabilized" rosewood, I don't find the tone vs. harm ratio to be worth it. I imagine it's all about how much that ratio is worth to you

Hope this was of some :help: ;)
  3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    D'Adarrio also has the Chromes, which are Stainless Steel Flatwound strings. The ribbon winding isn't has harsh on fretless basses, and from what I have heard they give a good tone.

Also look at the half-rounds. IIRC, they are XL Nickels that are ground to flatten the surfaces.