d'addario pro steels?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jim primate, Nov 24, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

anyone use 'em? thoughts? comparisons to say...dr highbeams, etc...thanks.
  2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i'm taking this as no.
  3. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I just put a set on my 5 string. They are quite nice, piano-like tone, etc. It's been too long since I've used DR's to make a comparison.
  4. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    I've been using D'Addario Prism's for awhile now, and I wonder if the Pro Steels are simply Prism's with a new name/package. Anyone know? I really like the Prism's and figure to try the PS's when my current supply dwindles.
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have a set on one of my basses...they're nice and bright and personally I like them better than DR's at the price.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like them, but I haven't played my usual Labella's in a while, so the decision's inda hard to make right now.
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    They aren't - D'addario had a massive beta test involving mailing of new strings, diaries, and other such reporting methods (as well as gift sets to those who returned their reports) Why go through all the trouble and expense for a simply rebranding? I've also heard from a Prism endorsee that placed "the mother of all orders" when the "discontinuation" word came down.

I'm in the same boat - I have a good amount of Prisms to last a while, but got a free set of ProSteels and may toss them on to compare. For what it's worth, word is they're as good, if not better than Prisms.
  8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Well I couldn't really imagine any company discontinueing a product to make one that is not as good, haha :D.
  9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    That's known as the "Gibson" method of business. There's also ones that discontinue to make none at all - the Akai business model. :smug:
  10. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I just installed a set of ProSteels 45-100. These strings smoke!

11. Artemis

Apr 21, 2003
    I hate these strings. I had been using Slowounds and was looking for something brighter. The Pro Steels are brighter but have nowhere near the bass responce as most othere strings. I also thought the B string sucked.
  12. kp_funk

Jun 9, 2003
    Has anyone compared the Daddario Pro-steels to DR Hi-beams? If so, which are brighter? Better, last longer, etc.?
  13. kp_funk

Jun 9, 2003

I just asked the same question. My Bad!! Does anyone else have a preference though?
  14. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I'm wondering about a comparison to GHS Super Steels, ya...ya that's the ticket!
  15. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    a friend of mine recommended these strings to me today. I dont know much about strings, All I've really played on before are Ernie Ball's, how would these pro steels compare to the ernie balls?
  16. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    sorry im buying strings tomorrow, would really like to know if they beat Ernie Ball super slinkys
  17. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    This is a little late but oh well. It depends on what you mean by "beat". They sound better that the Ernie Balls to me and they certainly last longer, but they will be harder on your fingers (i.e. not as slinky).
  18. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'd like to order some packs...there aren't any shops here that carry them. Who sells 'em cheap?
  19. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I just bought a set of D'Addario Pro Steel strings on e-bay but haven’t tried them yet. Could not resist the $14.14 price tag. I usually use DR low riders but they are expensive. I hope I like the pro steels seems you can find good deals on them.
  20. Been using ProSteel for a while now and I luv 'em on my Cirrus 6 string. However I just put a set of DR Highbeams b/c I got them for free.