1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

D'Addario ProSteels audio sample

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by trothwell, Feb 15, 2016.

1. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Following my six weeks with Thomastik Infeld PowerBass strings, it's clear to me that I want a brighter, livelier sound on this particular bass. Past experiences with stainless steel sets include GHS Super Steels (great string, but somewhat excessively "twangy" in my opinion) and DR Fat Beams (really nice feel, smooth sound, but found the mid-scoop element more than I cared for).

Picking something new at random, here are D'Addario ProSteels (45-105) on a USA Fender Jazz bass:

First impressions: I like the sound. I'm sure that these have already started to die and mellow, but if they keep roughly this sound for a reasonably look period of time, I think I'd like that.

Rougher texture that the TI PowerBass strings, but nothing bothersome for me. Tension is about the same. Stiffer. Slapping/popping sounds especially nice.

On the down side, they feel, for lack of a better word, "cheap". Mainly on the fretting hand, these strings just feel insubstantial, and not in a smooth, easy-to-play sort of way. I'm not really sure how to describe it. So regrettably, even though I am liking the sound so far, I'm not sure if I would want to stick with these just due to this. We'll see; it might improve with time.

Happy bass playing!

2. Thank you for this audio sample.
    Please keep us updated. I wonder how those strings age.

3. Going from TI to D'Addario is like going from a BMW to a Chevy. Of course they would feel "cheap" - something to be expected. ;):D

Eikari and BrentSimons like this.
  4. I like that!...although I think I'm biased because I enjoyed your GHS clips too! :)

I really wanted to like the Prosteels. I usually get Daddarios in 45-100 whether the XL's or Prosteels or Flexsteels due to the string tension. I had a set on my Geddy Lee Jazz recently and I feel they retain their brightness for a looonnnggg time. I didn't like the sound of the E string played open. It sounded hollow to me. Maybe that was the 100 gauge? They are rough feeling and usually I find that most of the SS strings I play seem to lose the roughness after a little playing time but with these not so much. I'll probably try them again though, maybe in the 45-105 gauge? For the price they are a great value.
    Brent

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    Sounds like the Match Game theme.

6. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I like the way these strings sound, and I don't mind their 'feel' either; but I cannot stand their B string, the standard or taper - just not good.

7. I've been using Prosteels for many years now, and they sound so nice - to me anyway.

Lately I've been using the new EPS300 set which includes 107T, 85T, 63, 43 gauges ... a fairly balanced tension set. I really like the taper wound lower strings, and the set works real well with a 130T on my 5er.

You may also like the Dunlop SS Superbrights which are a bit brighter, but lose their shimmer sooner.

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. The Dunlops' felt to me like they were lower tension as well. But I found them not as "crunchy" in the mids as the Prosteels. A smoother feel to the Dunlops as well. I liked the tone of the Prosteels and the feel of the Dunlops. :)
    Brent

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021