1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

D'Addario Prosteels EPS 170-5 Tension Change?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 3alfa3, Nov 9, 2017.

1. 3alfa3

3alfa3

Mar 14, 2016
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Just bought D'Addario Prosteels EPS 170-5 and noticed different Tension Chart on them.
    Typo, or they are different than before? Did not put them on Bass yet, so can't tell if they feels different.

Attached Files:

2. 3alfa3

3alfa3

Mar 14, 2016
    Zagreb, Croatia
    OK, Strings are installed. Neck Relief, Action and Intonation are the same as before.
    Cannot feel any difference, so it's probably typo. Or not? :)

Someone noticed change other than print on Package?

3. Maiden Bass likes this.
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Strings are the same as they were before... They changed the formula they used to calculate tension and it changed the numbers slightly. String formula had not changed.

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Ah ha! Changing the formula to change the numbers. Got to try this on my taxes!

VerryBerry and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I don't remember exactly why... Something like they used one more or one less decimal point and it changed the outcome. One of the reasons some companies don't like posting tensions they lead to confusion.

7. Are you saying the tension numbers on the D'A website are more up-to-date than the ones on the package?

8. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I'll have to look at which is which. They had a tension PDF published a few years ago. Those tensions are different than what is on their website / tension calculator. I'd need to look on the package to see what's what.

9. I've checked the D'A tension PDF and their numbers are different from the two mentioned by the OP. This means there are at least THREE sets of tension numbers for the same set.

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

11. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I love Pro Steels.

That is all...... :D

JaseyT and The Nameless like this.
  12. JaseyT

JaseyT Guest

Jun 18, 2009
    I used to be all about DR Hi-Beams for years...until I got multiple sets in a row with dead E strings right out of the package. I tried ProSteels after that, and I'm a happy guy.

gregmon79 likes this.
  13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I used to use and love DR Lo Riders and Lo Beams. More so the Lo Riders. I still like them. But I got a set of High Beams one time and they died within 24 hours for me. Can't stand those strings anymore. I'm not a fan of round core. I found that hex core was where it was at for me. Not always obviously. But I got a set of Pro Steels one time based on price and product description and was blown away. I couldn't believe how long they stay zingy and bright. Love em. I have no plans of changing using them on my main player any time soon. I always like the tension of the Pro Steels and the Lo Riders. Great stuff.

JaseyT likes this.
  14. JaseyT

JaseyT Guest

Jun 18, 2009
    I've found that the hex core helps take a little "wobble" out of the string, and can kind of help me get a little less grind and buzz with the low action I like. Have you found similar results? (Or do you even like low action?)

gregmon79 likes this.
  15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I try to get my strings as low as possible with the neck as straight as possible. But being that all my basses are mid to lower level basses, it's not easy if not next to impossible to get the neck straight with super low action with no buzz. But I can get pretty close. To be honest I've never really noticed. The only one I've noticed that type of response is on my ATK 300. But then one of the frets needs to be almost replaced to filed down. I noticed that last time I had Lo riders then going to Pro steels that I got more buzz on that fret with the Lo riders. So there ya go!

JaseyT likes this.
  16. JaseyT

JaseyT Guest

Jun 18, 2009
    I'm just the same. As little neck relief as possible, as low as possible. I can put up with a good amount of the buzz and grind, since I find that a lot of it doesn't get amplified.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    gregmon79 likes this.
  17. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Yes. The pdf is over 10 years old and the string construction may have changed since then.
    Over the following years I then noticed different values shown on the website, along with quite a few typos.
    Then more recently the String Tension Pro was added and as stated the way they calculated stated tensions was changed.
    I would consider the most accurate information the one that matches the String Tension Pro results.

michael_t likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021