D'Addario Short Scale Too Short?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Frettage, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Frettage

Frettage

May 30, 2009
    Louisville, CO
    I just purchased some D'Addario short scale strings to restring my new Waterstone Indra bass. The strings themselves are plenty long, but the taper on the string starts really low on the string, well below the nut when it's on the bass. I'm assuming the taper needs to be above the nut?

The back of the package even mentioned a 30" scale (which is what the Indra has), so did I just manage to get a faulty string?

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Can you post a pic? That sounds odd.

Are all the strings looking the same way?

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Is your bass a STB?

Only possible solution is to cut back the threads. A razor works well for this.

4. Frettage

Frettage

May 30, 2009
    Louisville, CO
    Nope, just the E string, the others are fine. I'll try and get a picture.

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I have the same problem with my old Hagstrom. It is actually 31" and I think that the tailpiece pulls the strings back a little further than expected. I find that I have to use Medium Scale strings on it.

6. I'll bet that's the problem with the OP's bass.

7. Frettage

Frettage

May 30, 2009
    Louisville, CO
    these strings aren't silk wrapped, the problem is the actual taper of the string itself. Photos coming
    momentarily.

8. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
    Just use normal length strings. You'll be fine.

9. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Your bass has a trapeze style bridge, and even though your bass is a short scale, that kind of bridge requires longer strings. Short scale strings will be too short.

Looking at pictures of the Indra, medium scale strings might even be too short.

Go to the D'Addario website, they list exactly how long their strings are.

10. Frettage

Frettage

May 30, 2009
    Louisville, CO
    I checked D'Addario's website and didn't see any mention of length (http://store.daddario.com/category/145938/EXL170S_Short_Scale_45-100). However I measured the string and it's 48.5", which is plenty. The problem is that the taper starts over 16" down the string (on the E and A strings, the others are fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it sounds as if the problem is just the bridge is messing things up, and I'm stuck with strings I can't use. How can I be sure I get strings of the proper length? Once opened they're unreturnable.

11. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
    I played a Mustang almost exclusively for about two years and I found that the best fitting strings were normal strings for 34'' basses. You have to cut a bit more of the excess off of the end, but other than that they work perfectly fine.

I'm not really sure why string companies even sell differently sized strings for shorter basses. The distance between the bridge and the nut is going to be exactly the same no matter how long the strings were to begin with, so the tension/playability will be exactly the same as well as long as the gauges are the same.

12. Frettage

Frettage

May 30, 2009
    Louisville, CO
    Thanks, Jasper383. According to that, I need medium length strings (the length from tail to nut is 33.5").

13. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    There you go.

The whole string length thing between the string companies trips everyone up at one point or another.

I remember stringing a bass up, only to find that the long D'Addarios were too short, so I ordered Super Longs. $20 wasted dollars. The next set of strings I bought for that bass were DR strings, so I ordered the Super Long set. They were like 40 feet long! Argh!

14. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The short scale strings barely fit on my EB3 with about 1/2" clearance at the nut.

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Because when winding full width around a tuner, instead of a tapered part, all kinds of problems follow. Including strings that will just Crack at the winding.

16. Wow, there isn't really an excess of space between the bridge and the tailpiece. Looks like they actually made those strings too short.

17. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    When I look at that bass, I see just the opposite. :)

18. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    i've used these strings a lot including right now on both my custom dano type 5 and a beater hamer slammer and there's no doubt in my mind that this is a bad string. even with the tailpiece set back the tapered windings on the E should still line up with the tapered winding on the A.

19. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    No. Frettage measured it. It's 33.5" from nut to bridge. This bass will need D'Addario Medium scale strings.

Now, some other brand short scale strings might work, but not the D'Addarios.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021