Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'Addario Slow wounds??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Funkster, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Anybody have any experience with these? Tone?
    I just got three bran new sets 45-105 for $30 bucks.

2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used these for years. Very even sounding strings. Great finger picking tone. Not much for a slap sound. I prefer S.I.T.ss for that. Sounds like you got a great deal. Ebay?

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive been using them for the last 8 months. I like them...Warm, crisp, punchy. even response, good slap tones. Well worth the $30

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yessir Dan Ebay, I bid 25 bucks and the reserve never broke. The seller asked if I wanted them for my highest bid, I said heck Yeah!!!

I always buy strings from ebay! Great deals! I have never paid anymore than 10 to 14 bucks a set depending on the brand.
    Thanks guy's.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Slowounds were my favorite string until I tried TI Powerbass strings.

Of course, for $10 a set, I'd have bought those, too.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...that's a killer deal, man! awesome strings too.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use 'em. I like 'em.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Slowounds are the only strings I use.
    Now Ive gotta start checking Ebay for deals on them.

9. I just got these from MF, 2 packs for $19.99.

I hope they sound all right cuz that is an awesome deal. Bass strings are too expensive to be shelling out $30 for a set.

10. I use 'em too. Great strings that really sings, but I've come to think that the b-string sounds a little weak. Mayby it's because it's taperwound. Any thoughts on that?

11. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I think they are a pretty smooth sounding string but they are not as zingy out of the package being nickel ect. They have a nice warm even tone though. I am not a fan of the taper core either.

12. I've been using them for nine months, I like their tone and I'd reccomend them but I just changed to D'Addario flatwounds.

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got them on all my basses. BTW, I saw those on eBay but I use the Super Long sets. I have to disagree with fivestringdan. I think they have a good slap tone even though I not much of a slapper yet.

14. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I got them on Tues! I just had a chance to put a set on my Pbass and so far I like them.
    Nice smooth tone, Warm sounding.
    I think they are keepers.
    Thanks all!

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got Slowounds on both my 5-strings and I'm happy with the B-string. Both of my 5s are 35" scale. Maybe that makes a difference.

16. Broke an E string and a G string so far in 4 weeks. I wasn't even playing the G when it broke!!! Can't afford to keep buying new ones - what other brand should I try?

EDIT 8/26/02: Just broke the D string last night - just came unwound down by the bridge! I gotta get rid of these crappy strings!!

I play fingerstyle funk/rock.

--joe http://www.pieceofcandi.com/

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    At what point along the length of the strings are they breaking? Bridge? Middle? You've probably got this covered but have you checked your bridge to see if it's the culprit if the breaks seem to be happening there?

18. The E broke at the bridge, and the G broke at the nut (and like I said, I wasn't even playing the G at the time).

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's strange. I've had no problems with mine and I have them on 5 different basses.

****knocks on wood**** :D

What string gauges are you using? I've got the .045 .065 .085 .105 on my 4s and .045 .065 .080 .100 .130 on my 5s. Those are the SW2000 sets. You might not want to try another set from D'Addario but the XLs are very similar in tonal qualities to the Slowounds IMO. Maybe they might work out better for you.

20. SW-3000-5.

I'm trying a set of LaBella strings.