D'addario Slow Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Sep 12, 2003.

1. I just put the .105 - .50 set of D'addario Slow Wounds on my P-Bass before practice yesterday and they made it sound huge! My Ampeg B100R was set to 7 and it was shaking the basement and cutting through the drums and guitar like never before.

I do still have an issue where the E string isn't as loud (ballsy) as the A string. My pickup looks to be uniformly level underneath the strings.

It still rocked though.
  2. Yeah, those Slowounds do cut through!
    I'm a Slowound fan myself, not only do they sound great, they feel great as well. Solid as a rock! And they last. They especially complement Fender basses very well to my experience!

And about the pickup, a pickup doesn't have to be level beneath the strings by default. The position it's in has to give good and balanced output, and if the E string needs some more power and the A a little less... well, you get the point. So get out the screwdriver and start fiddling with it!

3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I heard they are the ticket for a lot of active basses! I am having trouble finding some in my area but I am persistant.
  4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Slowounds rock...no other string will do it for me at this time...makes my Spector sound HUGE!!!:D

Edit: I use the SW2000-5 set (.045-.065-.080-.100-.130) with a tapered B string.
  5. Anyone try 'em on a Thumb Bass?

I really like the DR Black Beuties on the Thumb but I LOVE the fat sound I'm getting on my P-Bass using the Slow Wounds.
  6. another slowounds fan here! been using them for over a year and had my current set on since february!! harmonics are great. i am using the 45-105.

However, I think for my bass exams I will get a set of Dean Markley 40-95's to try and get even more perfecto' harmonics.. :)
  7. skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    And what do you think sounds great on an Ibanez SR480? Due for a new set, but sure what to look at... round wounds, but which ones ?
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Another Slowound fan here. I use the SW2000's, which are .045, .065, .080, .100.
  9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    How do they compare to TI's?
  10. I use High Beams. They cut through like a diamond tipped saw.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've been using Slowounds for about 3 or 4 years now and they definitely have the best tone.

I thought I ought to experiment a bit and tried some Thomastik Jazz bass strings (amongst others) - I liked these strings for their lighter gauge and faster playing - they made it very easy to play. But their tone was quite 'thin' compared to the Slowounds - especially on the D and G strings, which sounded quite brittle and scratchy.

After trying quite a few differnet high-end strings (most expensive I could find) , I have gone back to Slowounds and don't think I will ever use anything else unless I am forced to!! ;)
  12. I'll second Bruce's opinion on the TI's vs Slowounds. And although they sound fatter and deeper, the Slowound is still bright and juicy. Nice strings :)
  13. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Has anyone compared the SlowWounds to TI's "Powerbass" strings? How do they compare?
  14. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I'll chime in on the Slowounds vs. Powerbass. I've tried both of these on a Fender Jazz and they both seemed very similar. Strong lows, pleasant mids and a very shy top. Both of these sets are very warm sounding for rounwounds....so warm in fact that they aren't my cup of tea. The quality of both the sets I tried were outstanding but one word of warning...I don't know which type has the uglier silks at the headstock!:D The Slowounds have multi-colored silks and the Powerbass has purple! In all seriousness though, they are both great sets, just not my preference.
  15. rsautrey, which strings do you use then? I'm curiuos because I feel the same way about the Slowounds. They miss a little top-end. But on my Stingray that ain't such a bad thing, though a set of Hi-Beams sure sounds nice too!

zombywoof5050, my experience with TI's were with Powerbass. I found the TI's to sound nice when played with a light touch, but not so nice if you dig in. The Slowounds sounds better when you dig in, I think. A really juicy meaty midrange, and with solid lows to back it up. And still they have a good bright edge to the sound, though not like steel strings. For me the TI's sounded a bit too polite and discrete.
  16. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    carl-anton, DR stainless steel for me. I like Lo-Riders, Hi-Beams, and Fatbeams. I rotate back and forth between these DR sets and like different things about each type.
  17. Same thing here :), but I include Slowounds as well. I would like to settle on one string though. It would allow me to buy more sets at a time, which I don't dare to right now. :rolleyes:
  18. skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    And what about Rotosounds for an Active bass... any comments out there ???
  19. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I tried Roto's out on my Spector with EMG's, I think there are beter strings out there for actives, Roto's are great for about 2 weeks then die, I am exploring other options as well.