D'Addario Slowounds, Do You Like 'Em?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by boogiebass, Dec 22, 2000.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Just put a 40-95 set on my '98 AmJazzStnd with J-Retro. Initial reaction is good, like the feel. Not sure about the different colored silks at the headstock, however, and the E has the silk all the way down to the nug! Could be a problem on basses, like this one, that string through the body. Gonna gig with it Saturday night so I can evaluate sound, playability, etc. Anybody love or hate these strings? Or anybody blase' about 'em?
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sorry, should have read "down to the nut."
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, Boogie. you can correct your posts by clicking on the "Edit" icon.

Will C.:cool:
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Slowounds are my favs for roundwound. I've got Rotos, Thomastik Jazz Flats, Lakland, and boomers on my other basses. I've also used Fenders, Alembics and Ernies. The Thomastiks are by far the best flats I've used.
  5. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Hi guys,i just tried their XL nickle strings and like them alot.How do the slowounds differ/compare with these.
  6. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I've got Slowounds on my P-Bass. Very nice strings.
  7. I use a six string set, and they are pretty good. The only others I like as much are Ernie Ball. I have tried Dean Markley sr2000, D'Addario XL, Warwick, DR Lorider, Prisms, but keep returning to the Slowounds and Ernies. They are not designed for string thru, but you can trim the silk back a bit with a real sharp blade so it stays out of the nut slot.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I use Slowounds now and they are the best strings I have ever used or found. I've tried most others over the last 20 or so years apart from Thomastiks (I have a set on order)and found them to have the best sound and durability.

As to the silk going to the nut - you need to get the SuperLongScale sets - I used them on a Roscoe Beck Signature, which had the option of either though the body or through the bridge. The long scale sets were OK for through the bridge, but you had to use the Super Long for through the body - no difference in price!
  9. Great strings! I just got a 5 string (sw-2000) set for my four string. (It's a BEAD thing :))... They are great... It's hard to be more descriptive than that. They just give my bass an overall super sound and feel!

I have no experience with XL
  10. Yes I like them very much. I even like the funky colored silks at the headstock!
    I've got a SW3000 set on my 4 string J bass, no problem with the E string silk though, I've got about an inch of silk-free string behind the nut. These strings feel very nice under my fingers, stainless steel strings have a course feeling to me. Not the cheapest of strings but well worth the price I'd say.

11. I hate them. I've had very bad experience with every single D'Addario product I've tried. Broke a new string, bought EXTRA long scale for a 35" scale that were too short (not slowounds), and finaly, on the Slowounds, I find them to sound dead right out of the package. I guess some things just don't fit with some people!
  12. Erick, Slowounds are not bright strings, they're not meant to be. BassPlayer mag describes them as "warm and fat, semi-bright highs, smooth top".
  13. I recently restrung my RB5 with SloWound super longs through the body. I think they rule! I love the tone and the feel. The B string feels just a tad tighter which is a nice side benefit. I was a dedicated Boomer user for many years but I've been converted. Hallelujah, amen.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - when I put my first set of Super Long Slowounds on my RB5, the difference was huge compared with the Fender strings - so much better!
  15. Bruce, anything is better than Fender strings. Especially the B...ugh! I'm a tossup between Slows and Ernies, but lately have decided to stick with the Slows, they are so sweet in the upper register on my six.
  16. scare_freak

Jan 8, 2001
    Right now I'm using D'Addario 60-105 Slowounds only for the simple fact that the shops were all out of my Ernie Ball Power Slinky. The D'Addario's are good- the feel is purty smooth, the sound is from 1-10 a 7. But still NOTHING compared to my good-old Ernie Ball Power Slinky's- an all around 10!