Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'Addario Slowounds vs. TI Power Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Slater, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It's time for some new strings on my 4-string. I use this bass for Classic Rock and Blues. I've never tried the Slowounds or the Power Bass strings, but I'm going to try one of them next.

So, what do you think...?

2. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Slater, you might want to try the TI Jazz flats. I also play in a classic rock band and we do a lot of blues. The Jazz flats give a very deep sound and still have good highs compared to other flats. I just got a G&L 2000 so im going to try the Powerbass on it, they get a lot of good press. I've never tried them. But if your bass is passive I would go with the flats.

George.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    gbenner, thanks for the reply and the suggestion for TI Jazz Flats, but I don't think that I would like the low tension of the Jazz Flats and, FWIW, my bass has active Seymour Duncan electronics.

Anyone else...

Right now I'm thinking of trying the Slowounds first. They're cheaper and more available.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've never tried the Power Bass strings but I have given the Jazz flats a spin. What were the results? I'm now currently using Slowounds on each of basses. ;) Most of the music that I'm involved in at this time is the same as what you're doing. i do plan to switch to the D'Addario EXP 165 coated strings on my fretless in the next few weeks.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Jazz Rounds and Powerbass have very little in common, construction-wise, and aren't a good barometer for how the Powerbass sound, or feel.

I love the Jazz Rounds on three of my basses, but the Powerbass strings are the best for my purposes on my 5 string.

I was an avid Slowound user for years, but since I tried Powerbass, I haven't gone back to them. The Powerbass strings are more even in feel, and have a superior and stronger output that lasts for months.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    As I said, I've never tried the Power Bass sets and the TI Jazz sets that I've tried were flats. I think that they were the JR or JF 344s? My reasons for going with the Slowounds are very similar to the ones that you listed. I just felt like they did a better job for what I'm doing but again, I've never tried the Power Bass.