1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario String Gauge for New Yamaha BB424X

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PotsdamBass8, Jan 19, 2012.

1. A few months ago I got a Yamaha BB424X, and I really liked the gauge and tension of the stock strings. They also felt pretty slick. I checked the ball ends and they're colored, meaning they are D'Addarios, but does anyone have an idea as to what the stock gauge would be? They felt light, but without a micrometer, I can't really be sure.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Most likely they are going to be the EXL165 or EXL170 sets. Most likely the EXL165 which is .045 .065 .085 .105

I looked in the owners manual available for download on Yamaha's site but they do not mention gauges, but those are the two most standard OE gauges.

3. I just put on a set of Ernie Balls 45 65 80 100, and they feel a little tighter than the stock strings, which leads me to believe that they put a really light set on. Even the E feels a little easier!

Does anyone know if Ernie Balls are inherently tighter feeling than D'Addarios?

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Strings from Brand A are going to feel different from Brand B even if they are the same gauges.

Depending on how old the original strings are on your instrument, they get looser feeling over time as well.

5. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I think Yamaha has always put 45-105 strings on their basses. They used to be re-branded GHS Boomers (I think because of Yamaha's presence in Michigan), but now they are D'Addarios.

Interesting that 45-100 Slinkies would feel stiffer than the D'Addarios.